Skip to contentSkip to navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

Masters of Social Work Program Admission Questions

(Some information is subject to change for every new application process)

Q: What are the requirements to apply for the MSW program?

A:You must have a BA/BS from an accredited 4 year institution and a cumulative minimum 2.75 GPA.

Q: Do I need a Bachelor’s degree in Social Work to apply for the MSW program?

A:You do not need a Bachelor’s degree in Social Work to apply for our MSW program. We only require that the BA/BS you have is from an accredited 4-year institution.

Q: Are there any prerequisites required prior to applying to the MSW program?

A:There are 3 prerequisites required to apply to our MSW program only if your undergraduate degree was not in Social Work.  Prerequisite course work must be taken for letter grades (or document that CR means a “C” or better); you must earn a minimum grade of “C” in each course – there are 3 course prerequisites; 1) Data Analysis, 2) Human Biological Development, and 3) Cultural Diversity.

Q: Do you offer a part-time option for your MSW program?

A: Yes, you can choose to do the extended 3 or 4 year MSW program.

Q: What is the difference between the full-time and part-time program?

A: The difference will be the sequence in which you take the courses. Click on the link below to see the MSW Sequence of Course Requirements.

MSW Sequence of Course Requirements

Q: What degree emphasis does the MSW program offer?

A: We offer a multisystem approach to social work practice. We also offer a two-year Title IV-E Child Welfare Training Program. For those interested in the Title IV-E Child Welfare Training Program, you must submit a separate application for the Title IV-E Child Welfare Training Program 

Q: Is the GRE required for the MSW program?

A: Yes, you will need to take the GRE test prior to turning in your application.

Q: Do I need to send transcripts to both Fresno State Admissions and to the Department of Social Work Education?

A: YES. Admissions require that you have your official transcripts sent directly to them.  The Department of Social Work Education requires a copy of your transcripts as well, either official or unofficial to be included in your application packet.

Q: Do I need to complete the Statement of Purpose on the Cal State Apply Application?

A: No, you do not need to complete the Statement of Purpose on the Cal State Apply application. In the space provided, simply state “Sent directly to the MSW program”.

Q: I am a transfer student interested in enrolling in the MSW program. How can I go about doing that?

A: If you are transferring from an accredited MSW program, and are accepted into our MSW program, we may accept up to 6 units provided we determine that they are equivalent to our course work. However, you must submit an application to the university (CALSTATE Apply) and to the Department of Social Work Education. If you are admitted, you can meet with the graduate program coordinator who will determine which prior courses meet the requirements for the Fresno State MSW Program.

Q: Can I apply to the MSW program in the Spring semester?

A: No, we only accept admission applications during the Fall semester for the following school year.

Q: I applied to the MSW program last Fall and was not accepted into the program. If I want to re-apply to the program this year, do I need to re-submit the documents again?

A: If you want to re-apply to the program, you need to submit a new Application. However, you could use your previous transcripts, and GRE score sheet (if you have not retaken the GRE test) from your previous application.  Any new courses taken will require a copy of your transcripts.

Q: Can I simply include a resume for my employment history?

A: You may include a resume if you wish, but either way your employment history must be filled out on your application.

Q: Does your MSW program offer rolling admission?

A: We do not have rolling admission.  We only accept students into our program for the Fall semester. 

Q: When is the MSW information session? Do I need to RSVP to attend?

A:Any student interested in the MSW program is welcome to attend.  For more information and to RSVP contact our office at 559-278-3992.  It is an informational meeting for prospective applicants. Please check our website for updated dates. 

Q: Are there any stipends given to students who are accepted into the MSW program?

A:Students can apply for a two year stipend program, the Title IV-E Child Welfare Training Program. For more information on Title IVE-E Child Welfare Stipend program please visit the Department of Social Work website or contact the Title IVE-E office at 559-278-3076.

Q: Do you offer financial aid for students who are admitted to the MSW program?

A: Yes. For more information, go to

Q: I am interested in the MSW program and the Title IV-E program, can I apply to both?

A: Yes. The Title IV-E program is a stipend program that we offer and requires a separate application, in addition to the MSW application which has a separate application process and due date.  Acceptance to the Title IV-E program is contingent of your being accepted in the MSW program.

Q: I am an international student interested in the MSW program, how do I apply and is there a separate process?

A:Yes. For more information about applying as an international student, go to

Q: How long is the MSW program?

A:The MSW program is a 60 units program. We offer a two year full-time program or an extended three or four year programs. 

Q: What are my chances of being admitted in the MSW program?

A:We typically accept approximately 40% of the applicants whom apply to the MSW program each year with a targeted incoming class size of around 60. This estimate includes both the two-year and three-year MSW program on-campus cohorts.

Q. What can I do with a Social Work degree?

A. For more information, please click on either of these links: Social Work Degree Center or Fresno State Career Services