President's Leadership Academy
The application period for the inaugural cohort is now closed.
Applications Available: September 8, 2017
Application Deadline: October 2, 2017
Cohort Selected: October 23, 2017
Cohort Announced: November 1, 2017
Leadership Academy begins: December 5, 2017
Leadership Academy graduation, celebration and reflections: December, 2018
Eligibility: Faculty, Staff and Administrators
- Willingness to stretch and grow
- Positioned to assume increasing leadership responsibility in existing or future role
- Respectful of our diverse community
- Willing and able to attend all sessions and participate fully
- Deliberately diverse blend of academic and administrative leaders from across the university
- Support from Dean/VP/Manager/Department Chair
- Minimum one (1) year at Fresno State
Purpose: To engage Fresno State leaders and emerging leaders in an interactive and reflective development experience that supports strategic priority #2.
- To strengthen the culture of leadership at Fresno State.
- To create a community of leaders who will help advance Fresno. State’s mission to boldly educate and empower students for success.
- To develop bench strength/a pipeline of leaders.
- To enhance the capacity and capabilities of leaders by introducing leadership concepts, competencies and tools.
- Leadership exists throughout the university at all levels in all areas.
- Our focus is on everyday leadership (leading from where you are)
- how we influence and empower others
- Leadership Development is a continuum (embed into culture)
- Mission and values focused
- Diversity and inclusion
- Boldness - participants given creative space to be bold
- Supporting a culture of service and appreciation
- Strong Relational component - create and support trust, confidentiality and safety among cohort
Effective leaders at Fresno State:
- Lead with authenticity, passion, energy, and engagement.
- Build and nurture great teams.
- Create and support an open and inclusive environment.
- Serve with fearless courage, unwavering integrity, and relentless focus on supporting the Greater Good.
Learning will be designed to occur on multiple levels:
Full cohort – up to 25 participants
- Monthly ½ day – full day cohort gatherings over 12 months
(Friday mornings 8 – noon; breakfast served)
- Deliberately diverse representation from across divisions/schools/colleges
- Emphasis on learning experiences that build on and are different from standard manager skill-building workshops
- Competencies aligned with performance metrics
- Programming will blend a practical understanding of:
- university as a system (organizational structure/ field visits)
- management skillset and leadership behaviors
- personal development (resume, interviewing, developing a personal brand)
- Case study discussions
- Discussions of complex and challenging landscape in higher education
- Multi-rater feedback, pre and post
- Blend of in person and online learning
- Development of individualized goals based on assessment results
- A la carte skill building workshops available in person and online to support identified areas of development
- Emphasis on reflection and accountability with participants applying principles with reflection/reporting back on learnings
- Participants asked to demonstrate leadership skills learned
(in-dept project using The Leadership Challenge Workbook)
- Ongoing communication with participant’s manager
- Post program follow up and ongoing learning and networking for program alumni
- Flexible and adaptable to meet diverse and unique needs of cohort
- Participants will receive certificate at end of program
Assessment and Evaluation:
- Pre-and post multi-rater feedback
- Qualtrics surveys of program components conducted monthly
- Program evaluation completed annually on program effectiveness and results achieved
- Workplace Quality Survey
In January 2016 a Task force task force of academic and administrative leaders was convened to assess current leadership programming at Fresno State and recommend the conceptual, strategic and operational design for a new program. Their work has resulted in the President's Leadership Academy. The inaugural cohort will begin in late 2017.
For more information please contact:
Director Organizational Excellence
Interim Associate Vice President for Faculty Affairs