Reports, Surveys & Studies
This page is intended to help make the best use of our research findings by disseminating them widely. Most of these studies are produced by OIE staff. Others involve the labor of faculty and staff in various areas. Where that is the case, their authorship is noted.
Note: All reports open to a PDF unless otherwise stated.
Retention & Graduation
- Fresno State 6‐Year Undergraduate Graduation Rates by Department
In order to provide graduation rates at the department level for comparison purposes, the standard graduation rate methodology was modified and an expected graduation rate was calculated. The report provides the rationale and methodological details. The difference between the actual and expected rate likely reflects student and departmental characteristics and practices. Some of the tools that might help departments improve graduation rates are high impact practices and findings from the NSSE survey.
- Characteristics of 3rd Year Students Who Graduate or Fail To Graduate In 6 Years
- Academic Preparation Characteristics and Six-Year Graduation Rates
- Predicting 6-Year Graduation and High-Achieving and At-Risk Students
- First-Year Student Retention and Attrition
This report is based on multiple studies of first-year student retention conducted by OIE and others in 2007-08 for the Retention Oversight Group. Appendices include the specific research projects.
- Collegiate Learning Assessment (CLA) - This is a national test of critical thinking, analytical reasoning, writing administered annually as part of the CSU's participation in the Voluntary System of Accountability (VSA).
- Test Respondent Characteristics
- Results from the Spring 2011 National Survey of Student Engagement - Enriching Educational Experiences Benchmark by Jonathan Bolas, OIE Research Analyst
- (Corrected)Grades and Learning Outcomes: How Do We Know What Students Learn? by Dmitri Rogulkin, OIE Research Analyst
- Upper Division Writing Requirement by Dmitri Rogulkin, OIE Research Analyst
In this project we analyzed how students meet the Upper-Division Writing Requirement. We compared the pass rates and identified differences in characteristics of students who take the Upper-Division Writing Examination (UDWE) and those who enroll in an upper-division writing course (W-Course) in the period between fall 2002 and fall 2007.
- What Do Fresno State Students Learn? A Multi-Year Comparison of NSSE Results by Hongtao Yue, Research Analyst, IRAP
- Are Fresno State Seniors Academically Challenged Enough? by ChrisTina Leimer, Director, IRAP
What Classes Are Seniors Taking?
See a copy of the NSSE survey instrument
See a copy of the FSSE survey instrument
You Tube: A Vision of Students Today (video clip)
- ACT CAAP Writing Test Results by Xia Liu, Research Analyst, IRAP
- Educational Goals: What Does the Faculty Find Most Important? by ChrisTina Leimer, Director, IRAP
See a copy of the survey instrument
- ACT CAAP Reading Test Results - General Education Area 1C Courses - April 2005 - by Priscilla Chaffe-Stengel, Professor, ISDS and Faculty Fellow, IRAP
- Due to concerns about increasing class size as a means of addressing budget shortfalls, these data show, by department, where and to what extent class size has changed from 2008-09 through 2011-12. Click here to view Excel spreadsheet.
- What Graduating Students Said - Class of 2014
- What Graduating Students Said - Class of 2013
- What Graduating Students Said - Class of 2012
- 2011 NSSE Benchmarks & Frequency Distributions for Seniors by College
- National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) 2011 Results
2011 Respondent Characteristics, Means, and Frequencies
(Download Full Report)
- National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) 2007 Results
2007 Respondent Characteristics, Means, and Frequencies
- National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) Results(Powerpoint presentation in pdf format)
2005 Respondent Characteristics, Means, and Frequencies
- College Student Expectations Survey (CSXQ) - Spring 2005(William Stock, Ph.D. and Dennis Nef, Dean of Undergraduate Studies, authors). A longer version of the survey by William Stock, Ph.D. is also available at this link (23 pages, 1 mb).
Faculty & Staff
- 2010-11 HERI Faculty Survey Report
Institutional Profile Reports, Themes, CIRP Construct Reports
- First Generation Faculty and Staff Stories Project
- Multiculturalism, Diversity and Gender Issues by ChrisTina Leimer, Director, IRAP
See a copy of the survey instrument
- Stasis and Change: Faculty Satisfaction, Stress and University Priorities by ChrisTina Leimer, Director, IRAP
See a copy of the survey instrument
Program Assessment & Evaluation
- Summarizing the Effects of Supplemental Instruction (SI) on Student Performance
In this study, factors affecting SI participation were identified. Subsequently, the effects of SI participation on students’ performance were evaluated, measured by course grade and its moderating factors.
- Assessment of Effectiveness of Student Support Programs
The purpose of this study is to determine if the SSP programs: Educational Opportunity Program (EOP), College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMP), University Migrant Services (UMS), Summer Bridge, and Student Support Services Program, have a positive impact on students’ performance in terms of retention and graduation rates.
- Progress of First Year Experience Students in 3rd Cohort
In Fall 2009, Fresno State initiated a First Year Experience program with a group of 50 first generation, potentially at-risk new freshmen. Each year, the cohort size has increased. This report examines the progress of the largest cohort (Fall 2011) and compares it to progress of the previous FYE cohorts and three other new freshmen groups.
- SupportNet Assessment
- Does Service Learning Help Students Succeed?
by Christina Leimer, Hongtao Yue, and Dmitri Rogulkin
- Are We Helping Freshmen Succeed? Results of Fresno State's First Year Experience and Academic Success Course
- Honors Program Assessment Summary Report and Appendix
by Hongtao Yue, IRAP Research Analyst
- Academic Information Technology Surveys
Faculty, staff and student technology surveys conducted by Dr. Ed Nelson, Director, Social Research Laboratory, College of Social Sciences, Social Science 106, (559) 278-2275.
- Postgraduate Enrollment of Fresno State Undergraduates
AY 2008-09 & 2009-10 by Brent Hanson
- Fresno State Students Enrolled in Multiple Higher Education Institutions
by Dmitri Rogulkin, IRAP Research Analyst
- Undergraduate Transfer Student Profile (California Community Colleges Main Feeders)
- The Academic Challenges of Southeast Asians at Fresno State
- Freshman Employment, Academic Performance, and Engagement Results from the 2011 NSSE Survey
- A Comparison of First Generation and Continuing Generation Students at Fresno State
- Hmong Student Profile
- Post-Graduate Education of Fresno State Graduates by Dmitri Rogulkin, IRAP Research Analyst
- Post-Baccalaureate Enrollment of Fresno State Graduates by Dmitri Rogulkin, IRAP Research Analyst
- Selected Fresno State NSSE Results Compared to CSU and Masters Universities
PowerPoint presentation given by Christina Leimer at the Administrative Roundtable, Fresno State, February 1, 2012
- IPEDS Data Feedback Report 2012
- IPEDS Data Feedback Report 2011
- IPEDS Data Feedback Report 2010
- IPEDS Data Feedback Report 2009
Source: National Center for Education Statistics