Frequently Asked Questions


What happens when a student is referred to the Office of Student Conduct?

The student is sent a letter from the Office of Student Conduct (OSC) providing them with an appointment to meet with a Student Conduct Officer regarding the alleged violation(s) listed in the appointment letter. The student will also receive a copy of the California Code of Regulations under Title V, section 41301-41304 and the conduct procedures at Fresno State (E.O. 1098).

What happens when there is an allegation against a Student Organization?

Student organizations recognized by Fresno State are subject to the Student Organization Code of Conduct. The University may hold a student organization responsible for the actions of its members when the behavior or activity is related to the organization. Misconduct need not be officially approved by the organization membership in order to be grounds for sanctions against the organization.  Further information can be found in the Student Club and Organization Handbook.

What will happen at the first meeting?

The student is provided the opportunity to discuss the incident with the Student Conduct Officer.  Disciplinary conferences are usually scheduled for an hour. You will be able to present any relevant information, evidence, or witnesses. Sanction recommendations will take into account honesty, cooperation, a preponderance of evidence, and your disciplinary history. This is a fact-finding meeting and a student’s full cooperation is expected.
At the conclusion of a disciplinary conference, appropriate sanctions may be proposed if it is believed that a violation of the Student Code of Conduct occurred.  These sanctions are proposed in the form of an agreement that you would be given the opportunity to sign if you agreed with the terms.  If a resolution is not reached in a disciplinary conference, the matter will proceed to a formal hearing as described in Executive Order 1098.

Can someone attend the meeting with me?

Yes, you may ask another person to accompany you to the meeting. Under current University policy, that person may not be an attorney; however, nothing precludes you from consulting with an attorney prior to the meeting.  An exception to this policy is made in cases that involve pending felony charges in a court of law or in which the University is proposing expulsion, a student may bring an attorney to serve as their advisor.  A student will always be expected to speak for themselves.

If you invite another person to the disciplinary meeting you are providing authorization for that person to hear information about the allegation.  We will ask you to sign a document allowing the release of information to this person. Separate meetings are scheduled for any students involved in the same disciplinary matter, including those who have been referred to Student Conduct and/or who may have witnessed an incident being investigated by Student Conduct.

Who has access to my disciplinary record?

Your disciplinary record is considered confidential. However, information concerning your disciplinary record may be available to appropriate University officials, faculty and/or staff who have a legitimate education interest in such information. In addition, information regarding your disciplinary record may be released to other individuals or entities upon your written request or in accordance with state and federal law.

How long will my disciplinary record be maintained?

Most disciplinary records are maintained for at least seven years. Some records are kept permanently, including those in which sanctions assessed include suspension, expulsion, denial or revocation of a degree, and/or withdrawal of a diploma.

If the violation also involves an alleged crime, can I also be prosecuted through the criminal courts as well as being referred to Student Conduct?

Yes, the same set of facts may result in an investigation by both the University and the courts.

What if I am accused of academic dishonesty?

If you are accused of academic dishonesty you will have an opportunity to speak to your instructor about the allegation. If you understand that you have committed an act of dishonesty it is best to admit to doing so and to apologize to the professor. It will not prevent the instructor from assessing a penalty; however, it is the honorable thing for you to do. The professor may assess a sanction ranging from an oral reprimand to an F in the course.

If you believe that you have not committed an act of dishonesty you have the right to challenge the professor's decision through the Policy and Procedures on Cheating & Plagiarism.  The professor will also refer the matter to Student Conduct.

How can I have a hold lifted from my record?

You will need to call Student Conduct at (559) 278-8740. Generally, the hold means that you have either failed to respond to the disciplinary letter or you have failed to fulfill other obligations concerning a disciplinary case including mandated sanctions.

What steps do I take to complete questions on applications or Dean's Certification/Disciplinary Clearance Form about disciplinary records?

You will need to bring the form to the Dean of Students Office, in Joyal Administration Building, room 274. You will need to bring an official photo ID, the signed form, and a stamped, addressed envelope. If the form does not have a signed released allowing us to provide information of that nature, you will be asked to sign a release in our office. Generally, these forms are processed within 5 business days.

If you are unable to bring the form to the Dean of Students Office, please call us at 559.278.8740 for further information; prior to contacting us, fill out the authorization to release form found on your student portal.

Faculty and Staff

What information should I provide the OSC regarding my referral?

As the referring party, you must submit all information/knowledge that you have about the incident, including information from witnesses, documents such as tests, notes, term papers, assignments and police/incident reports, etc. Please be sure to include the student’s full name and ID number.

Will I attend the informal conference to give my side of the incident?

No, the referring party does not attend the informal conference. The OSC meets with the student in a confidential one-on-one meeting. In the event of a formal hearing, the referring party will be called to provide testimony on the facts of the case.

Will I be told the results of the case?

To maintain student privacy, and uphold educational law, we are unable to share details of a student's disciplinary record without permission from the student.  In the event the end result is needed in order to submit a grade, information can be shared on a need to know basis.

What if I don’t want to ruin the student’s life or keep them from getting into a graduate school, or from getting a job?

As an education institution, one of our primary goals is to help students learn from their mistakes.  Only if the sanction involves suspension or expulsion is it noted on transcripts. Disciplinary records are confidential and generally cannot be released to others without the student’s consent. In all but very few cases, a student discipline record will not prevent one from applying and being admitted into medical, law, dental, or other professional or graduate schools.

Are faculty required to report incidents of Academic Dishonesty, or can they handle it in the classroom?

As detailed in Executive Order 1098 (Article II, I.), as well as APM 235, faculty shall promptly notify the Office of Student Conduct.  Notification consists of submitting an online form and providing copies of the course materials in question.  In the event the student contests the allegation and requests a hearing with the Department Chair, formal notification is required after that hearing. 

Academic penalties imposed by the instructor range from lowering a grade, assigning a grade of “0” or “F” for the test/paper, to assigning an “F” for the entire course.  The Student Conduct Administrator would be happy to speak with you regarding what types of academic penalties are most often assigned.  In addition to an impact on the course grade, faculty may also recommend additional sanctions through the conduct process.

How many cases are reported and what happens in those cases?

Contact the Office of Student Conduct, 559.278.8740 or regarding this information.


If you have any further questions about Student Conduct or student discipline, please contact the Office of Student Conduct at 559.278.8740 or, located in the Dean of Students suite, Joyal Administration building, room 274.