Student Note-taker Information
Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) provides note-taking support services that are designed to supplement a student’s learning process by having another person record the essential points delivered in a lecture environment. These services are not intended to be used as a substitute for attending class.
Spring 2021 Note-taking Information
Certain students may not need a note-taker for their virtual class(es), however, it depends on how the course will be conducted.
- If your course will be in a virtual synchronous environment, our office may need a note-taker for your course.
- If your course will be in a virtual asynchronous environment or you are recording your lectures and putting them online, our office may not need a note-taker for your course.
SSD students and faculty with questions on Spring 2021 note-taking accommodations are encouraged to reach out to Belen Vera at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer Note-taker Information
Registration (Only for students who have been asked to volunteer by their professor.)
Please use SSD’s Volunteer Note-taking Registration form (Need to be logged into your Fresno State email account.)
In order to qualify for priority registration you must complete the following:
- Register as a note-taker within 1 week of volunteering in your class.
- Email consistent, legible, quality notes (to be provided to the student) to email@example.com, for the full semester.
- Email notes as soon as possible, each week, after each class period, no later than 48 hours after the class period.
- Notify SSD within 24 hours if there were no notes to be taken during the class period and why (exam, canceled class, etc.)
- Request notes from another student in the course and email them if you are absent.
Please note: The students you are taking notes for will be contacted prior to the registration deadline to confirm that they have been receiving notes in a timely and consistent manner. If it proves evident that you have not turned in quality and consistent notes over the semester, priority registration will not be awarded.
SSD Student Responsibilities
The requesting SSD Student is responsible for the following:
- Will notify SSD if they drop the class or need to be absent for a prolonged period of time.
- Will attend class for classes in which notes are received.
- Will not share notes with anyone else.
- Will be attentive and take their own notes to the best of their ability.
- Will observe the note-taking services with professionalism, courtesy, and respect.
Volunteer Note-taker Responsibilities
The volunteer note-taker is responsible for the following:
- Register as a note-taker.
- Send legible notes consistently and in a timely manner.
- Contact the note-taking coordinator throughout the semester, with any questions.
- Send notes from the time the announcement is made through the end of the semester.
- Will observe the note-taking services with professionalism, courtesy, and respect.
Sending notes as a Volunteer Note-taker
You will provide your notes to SSD so that we can deliver them to the appropriate student(s). Notes need to be TYPED or in clear and legible handwriting.
- You will email your notes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Subject Line should include the course name, day/time of class, and professor name- ex: HIST 12, MWF 10AM, Smith
- Notes should be TYPED and sent using a Microsoft Word Document, PDF or Google Document.
- If you are sending handwritten notes, they must be approved by the note-taking coordinator, prior to submission. Failure to get approval for handwritten notes could result in the loss of receiving priority registration.
Receiving Priority Registration for a Future Semester.
Note-takers at Fresno State are awarded Priority Registration for complete and quality note-taking for one full semester, as a Thank You for volunteering as a Note-taker. Priority registration allows you to register on the first day of registration, the following semester.
- Note-takers during Spring 2021, will be given priority registration for the Spring 2022 courses, NOT Fall 2021 courses.
- Note-takers during Fall 2021, will be given priority registration for the Fall 2022 courses, not Spring 2022 courses.
- If you are a senior, please email the note-taker coordinator for more information.
Priority Registration is NOT automatic. In order to qualify for priority registration, the volunteer note-taker MUST complete the Volunteer Note-taker Responsibilities (listed above) in order to qualify for Priority Registration.
Please note: The student you are taking notes for may be contacted after the semester is complete, to confirm that they have been receiving their notes in a timely manner. If it proves evident that you have not turned in quality and consistent notes throughout the semester, priority registration will not be awarded.
Interested in being a volunteer note-taker?
Thank you for your interest in being a volunteer note-taker. Please listen for an announcement or watch for an email or Canvas post from your professors regarding being a note-taker. We only need note-takers for classes in which a student who is using the note-taking accommodation is registered. Therefore, not every class will require a volunteer note-taker.
Thank you for assisting Services for Students with Disabilities to obtain a volunteer note-taker for one or more of your classes. Note-takers should be obtained as soon as possible after the notification is presented to you by the SSD student.
Please utilize the following procedures in obtaining a note-taker for the semester:
- MAINTAIN THE STUDENTS PRIVACY: Legally, ALL information related to the disability and the individual with a disability must remain confidential. (Do Not Give the students information to the volunteer note-taker. Do Not announce the student's name to the class.)
- Obtain a volunteer in your class. Please note: if there is more than one student with SSD in your course needing this accommodation, ONE note-taker is sufficient.
- Announce the need for a volunteer note-taker in your class via class session, Canvas or email. You may remind students there is the opportunity to receive Priority Registration for a future semester.
Example for class announcement/email:
“A student in this class has a need for a volunteer note-taker throughout the Spring 2021 semester. Is there someone in class willing to share their class notes by emailing them to the SSD office weekly? If you are interested please register at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/studentaffairs/ssd/notetakerinfo/index.html. If you have questions, please email Belen Vera at email@example.com. At the end of the semester, you may be eligible to receive Priority Registration for a future semester. "
Provide the volunteer the information to this website or the email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can we assist you?
If no volunteer emerges, or if you have any questions about these procedures, please contact the note-taking coordinator, Belen Vera at 559-278-2811 or email@example.com.
SSD/Requesting Student Information
Services for Students with Disabilities provides note-taking support services as an accommodation for students with hearing, visual, motor limitations or those who have learning disabilities that significantly affect the ability to take notes in class. Note-taking assistance is provided to students whose documented disability impacts their ability to effectively take notes during course lectures and labs. The SSD student will meet with their Access and Ability Specialist to determine if note-taking services are appropriate. Note-taking is meant to supplement a student’s learning process, not as a substitute for attending class.
Note-taking and Tape Recording in the Classroom
- To initiate note-taking service, the student is to contact their Access & Ability Specialist to discuss if note-taking is an appropriate accommodation. Students using the note-taking service will need to complete a Note-taking Accommodation Agreement.
- Each semester, the student will need to complete and provide appropriate information on the Request for Professor Letters Form (Yellow Form).
- SSD will provide the student with a letter of accommodations to be given to the professor by the student. The letters should be ready within five (5) working days of receipt of an appropriate and complete request.
- It is the student’s responsibility to let the Note-taking Coordinator know if a note-taker has not been solicited by the professor, or if the professor is hesitant about the student taping the lecture.
- It is the student’s responsibility to let the Note-taking Coordinator know if the note-taker is not sending notes, or they have not received notes by the third week of class.
Note-taking Accommodation Agreement
Note-taking agreement forms must have been signed by the student with their Access and Ability Specialist, requesting the service each academic year.
If you have any questions, comments or concerns with any area of note-taking, please contact Belen Vera. Concerns include, but are not limited to:
- SSD Students who are not receiving notes
- Faculty/Professors who have not been successful with obtaining a volunteer note-taker
- Volunteers completing the Volunteer Note-taking Registration
- Completing notes on a Microsoft word document
- Completing notes through Google Documents
- Withdrawing from note-taking services
Belen can be reached at 559-278-2811 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. If necessary, appointments can be scheduled by calling 559-278-2811.