Native American Initiative
Welcome to the Native American Initiative page at Fresno State!
The Native American Initiative has been established to increase the number of Native American students enrolling and graduating at Fresno State. The following are essential components of the initiative:
- Reach out to Native American students through partnerships and collaborations with Rancherias, school districts, and tribal agencies serving Native American students.
- Develop and maintain support networks within the university and the Native American community.
- Create a place that fosters a welcoming and supportive environment where students feel they have a home away from home. It is a place for studying, programming, faculty, staff, student meetings, social engagement, and student community building.
- Promote and support events that bring Native American students and community to the campus.
- Provide student academic monitoring and advisement that includes an “early warning” system.
- Connect students with mentors (faculty, staff, and alumni)
There are Native American cultural events happening throughout the year on and off campus. In April, we participate in the Fresno State Annual Pow Wow. During the month of November we participate in celebrating Native American Heritage month by planning various events, inviting several Native American speakers, and showing films.
How to get involved
Fresno State focuses on having a diverse campus, we offer a way for our Native American students to be involved in the community.
Native American Student Club: Nuem NASA Fresno State
First Nations is a student organization that works to bring awareness of indigenous cultures by building upon the camaraderie of the indigenous communities of the Americas. The organization actively seeks to raise social consciousness by creating an environment of awareness and understanding of First Nations peoples. First Nations members include those directly connected to a sovereign nation existing prior to colonization, and those who support First Nations through participating in cultural, political, and social events. For more information visit their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/NeumNASAFresnoState
Native American Alumni Club
The Fresno State Native American Alumni Club became an official club of the Fresno State Alumni Association effective July 1st, 2014. The club’s primary purpose is to raise monies to establish and maintain an on-going scholarship endowment available for prospective Fresno State students of Native American origin. The club also provides on-going support and mentorship for current students, as well as advocates within Fresno State to ensure that Native American students have access to the resources necessary to successfully graduate from Fresno State. Current Native American students at Fresno State are encouraged to come to an alumni club meeting to share your ideas and network with Native American graduates currently working within a variety of industries and leadership roles. For more information visit their Facebook website: https://www.facebook.com/fresnostatenativealumni