Leave of Absence Request
A Leave of Absence is a planned interruption or pause in a student's regular academic attendance. In effect, the student temporarily ceases formal studies at Fresno State while pursuing other activities that may assist in clarifying and/or contributing to educational goals. It may also involve a military or medical leave.
The intent of the policy is to make it possible for a student to suspend academic work, leave the campus without jeopardizing rights and privileges, and later resume studies with a minimum of procedural difficulty.
A student who is approved for a Leave of Absence will be considered a continuing Fresno State student and will maintain "catalog rights." If the student registers at Fresno State at the conclusion of the granted leave, a application for readmission will not be required.
A planned educational leave for graduate students must be recommended by the Division of Research and Graduate Studies, Frank W. Thomas Building, Room 130 and requires an additional signature of your Graduate Program Coordinator.
The following regulations apply to a leave of absence:
- A student currently enrolled in a fully matriculated session may be considered for a Leave of Absence.
- Leave of Absences are granted for two to four consecutive semesters only.
- International students must be recommended by the Director of International Student Services and Programs; Educational Opportunity Program students by an EOP counselor.
- Petitions for Leave of Absence must be filed (with the appropriate recommendation) at the Office of the University Registrar before the first day of classes for the semester during which the leave is to begin.
- Leaves are not approved for students in probation or disqualified status.
- A leave is not approved if the student plans to attend another institution, unless the coursework the student seeks is not available at Fresno State. Any academic credit earned while on a planned educational leave is accredited by Fresno State only if permission is granted for that credit in advance.
- Students who do not return to the university at the conclusion of their planned educational leave and those who enroll elsewhere will be considered to have withdrawn from the university at the end of their last semester of regular enrollment at Fresno State and will have to reapply for admission upon their return.
Students wishing to apply for a Leave of Absence should print and complete the request form at the link below. Email completed form to the Office of the University Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of the University Registrar at (559)278-4743 or email email@example.com.