Social Science 121
Office phone: (559) 278-2297
Ph.D. - University of Durham (2001)
BA, MA - California State University, Fresno (1991, 1993)
Spring 2020 Courses
|History 5 - European Civilizations||MWF 11:00-11:50 am|
|History 20 - World History I||T/Th 11:00-12:15 pm|
|History 100W - Historical Research and Writing||W 6:00-8:50 pm|
|History 150 - England to 1485||T/Th 9:30-10:45 am|
Medieval and early-modern English politics and political culture; landed economy and society; political ideas and their expression; war and finance; aristocratic and gentry cultures; religious and intellectual history of later medieval England.
Ralph Neville & the Governance of England, 1367-1425 (Book manuscript under contract with Brill).
"Henry V and the North." Reign of Henry V, ed. G. Dodd (Woodbridge [UK], 2012).
"A County Community or the Politics of the Nation? Border Service and Baronial Influence in the Palatinate of Durham, 1377-1413." Historical Research (Journal of the Institute of Historical Research, London), vol. 81: no. 151 (2009), pp. 41-61.
"Managing the North in the Reign of Henry IV, 1402-1408." The Reign of Henry IV: Rebellion and Survival, 1403-1413, ed. D. Biggs and G. Dodd (Woodbridge, 2008).
"Regional Politics, Landed Society and the Coal Industry in North-East England, 1350-1430." Fourteenth Century England, 4 (2006), pp. 175-91.
"The Durham Gentry and the Scottish March, 1370-1400: County Service in Late Medieval England," Northern History, 42: 2 (2005), pp. 259-75.
"'Lancastrianization' of the North in the Reign of Henry IV, 1399-1413," in Reputation and Representation in Later Medieval England, ed. D. Biggs, A.C. Reeves and S. Michalove (Leiden, The Netherlands, 2004), pp. 9-38.
"A Lancastrian Polity? John of Gaunt, John Neville and the War with France, 1368-1388," Fourteenth Century England, 3 (2004), pp. 121-42.
"Henry IV, the Northern Nobility, and the Consolidation of the Regime," in Reign of Henry IV: The Establishment of the Regime, ed. G. Dodd and D.L. Biggs, (Woodbridge, 2003), pp. 117-38.
"Landed Society and the Governance of the North in the Later Middle Ages: The Case of Sir Ralph Eure," Medieval Prosopography, 22 (2001), pp. 65-87.
“Regional Society and National Politics: The Rise of the Lancastrian North,” Regions and Regionalism: Essays in Honour of A.J. Pollard, ed. Peter Fleming (Boydell & Brewer, 2016).
“Richard II, the Beauforts and the Political Crisis of 1397,” awaiting ed. decision, Historical Research (IHR, London).
“Public Life, Private Power, and the Origins of a Distinct Lancastrian Political Culture,” article in revision for Fourteenth-Century England (VIII), 2016
- History 1: Western Civilization to 1688
- History 2: Western Civilization since 1688
- History 11: U.S. History to 1877
- History 12: U.S. History since 1877
- History 100: Historical Methods and Writing
- History 121: Europe in the Middle Ages
- History 122: Medieval Culture
- History 124T: Medieval History in Film
- History 124T: Later Medieval English Culture and Society
- History 124: British History through Literature and Film
- History 125: Europe in the Renaissance
- History 126: Reformation Europe
- History 149T: Great Figures from the British Past
- History 149T: Great Figures in European History
- History 149T: England from Chaucer to Shakespeare
- History 150: England to 1485
- History 151: England and Empire
- History 192: Readings in Medieval History
- History 200: Historiography -- Medieval and Early-modern historians, writers, and traditions.
- History 200A: Ancient and Medieval Historiography
- History 220T: The Hundred Years' War
- History 220T: France, England and the making of the State
- History 220T: Tudor England
- History 220T: English Political Society in the Later Middle Ages
- History 230: Late Antiquity: Rome, Byzantium, and the West
- History 235: Shakespeare's Kings: England in the Age of Richard II and Henry IV
- History 235: France and England in the Later Middle Ages
- History 235: England under the Three Edwards
- History 290: Research and Readings in Medieval History
Teaching in the Honors College, CSU, Fresno:
- Humanities 10H Honors Introduction to Ancient and Medieval
- Humanities Honors 101 Emerging Voices after Colonialism: Revolution in Theory, Revolution in Practice
Work In Progress:
I am finishing a project on the dukes of Lancaster and the political culture they nurtured, and am writing a book-length manuscript on politics and landed society in the north of England for Brill. I am also starting work on a book-length study of kingship, nobility and the political culture of England in the late middle ages.