In January 2018 Fresno State launched our Principles of Community: how we treat each other (PDF). The process to create these principles took more than a year and involved nearly all faculty and staff participating in polling activities, focus groups, in person and online discussions.
Read more about the collaborative process we went through to develop these principles (PDF).
Since early 2018 we integrated these principles into much of our work. From onboarding new faculty and staff, incorporating the principles in our recognition programs, introducing new professional development opportunities and campus wide communications, the Principles of Community have become essential to the fabric of our campus culture.
Faculty, staff and administrators are encouraged to download the Principles of Community icon to demonstrate your commitment to embracing these principles in how we treat one another. Instructions on how to embed the icon in your digital signature are found here (PDF).
Check out our Principle of Community toolkit for resources, tips, facilitation ideas and on line learning opportunities.
Principles of Community: How we treat each other
We all play a role in fostering an inclusive work and learning environment of respect, kindness, collaboration, and accountability where every member of the student body, faculty, staff, and administration can thrive. Our Principles of Community reflect our core values of Discovery, Diversity, and Distinction as well as our deep commitment to our mission "to boldly educate and empower students for success." These Principles were developed collaboratively by faculty, staff, and administrators. They exemplify what we aspire to be.
WE ARE RESPECTFUL
To approach interpersonal interactions with collegiality and integrity, we strive to...
- value all employees and welcome their contributions.
- listen with attention to all perspectives with the intent to understand.
- consider the impact of our communication.
- honor our word and commitments.
- maintain confidentiality and privacy as appropriate.
WE ARE KIND
To foster a sense of belonging and demonstrate compassion, empathy, care, and concern, we strive to...
- contribute to making Fresno State a welcoming community for all.
- use words thoughtfully and be mindful of our actions.
- assume good intentions.
- acknowledge the contributions of others.
- be patient and supportive.
WE ARE COLLABORATIVE
To work together to achieve common goals, support the greater good and embrace Fresno State's mission, we strive to...
- build relationships to create a positive work and learning environment.
- communicate to engage and be supportive of each other's goals.
- consider diverse ideas and opinions.
- participate fully as a team member, do our share and make space for others to shine.
WE ARE ACCOUNTABLE
To hold ourselves and our colleagues accountable for behaviors and outcomes, we strive to...
- clearly communicate expectations and, when appropriate, jointly develop goals and objectives.
- explain the purpose of decisions and actions.
- share honest, meaningful feedback in a timely manner and receive feedback with an open mind.
- own responsibility for our behaviors and actions.
University's Definition of Diversity: Individual differences (e.g., personality, language, learning styles, and life experiences) and group/social differences (e.g., race/ethnicity, class, gender, sexual orientation/sexual identity, country of origin, and ability status as well as cultural, political, religious, or other affiliations) that can be engaged in the service of learning.