Dr. Joseph I. Castro
Stanford University, Ph.D., Education (Higher Education Policy and Leadership), 1998
University of California, Berkeley, M.P.P., Public Policy, 1990
University of California, Berkeley, A.B., Political Science, 1988
Harvard Institutes of Higher Education Seminar for Experienced Presidents, 2018 and 2016
Resnick Leadership Fellow, The Aspen Institute, 2015
Harvard University Institute for New Presidents, 2013
Spectrum Executive Leadership Fellow, American Council on Education, 2013
Executive Leadership Fellow, University of California, Berkeley and AAAHE, 2011
University of California Senior Leadership Institute, 2007
University of California Management Institute, 2001
SUMMARY OF ADMINISTRATIVE POSITIONS
President, California State University, Fresno, 2013-Present
Vice Chancellor, Student Academic Affairs, UC San Francisco, 2010-2013
Dean (Interim), Graduate Division, UC San Francisco, 2011-12
Special Assistant to the Chancellor, UC San Francisco, 2010
Vice Provost, Student Academic Affairs, UC San Francisco, 2008-10
Associate Vice Chancellor, Student Academic Affairs, UC San Francisco, 2006-08
Executive Director, Academic Preparation, UC Santa Barbara, 2001-06
Director, Academic Programs, UC Merced, 1997-2001
Director (Interim), Educational Research Center, UC Davis, 1998-2000
Assistant Dean, Goldman School of Public Policy, UC Berkeley, 1993-97
Analyst, State Governmental Relations, UC Office of the President, 1990-93
SUMMARY OF ACADEMIC POSITIONS
Professor, Kremen School of Education and Human Development, 2013-Present
Professor (Adjunct), School of Medicine, UC San Francisco, 2007-13
Associate Professor (Adjunct), School of Education, UC Santa Barbara, 2001-06
Assistant Professor (Adjunct), School of Education, UC Davis, 1998-2001
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, FRESNO 2013-Present
Carnegie Classification: Doctoral University – Moderate Research Activity. Lead largest and oldest public university in Central California with comprehensive Division 1 Athletic Program (Mountain West Conference). Manage annual budget of over $415 million. Student population is over 25,000. Faculty and Staff population is over 3,000. Alumni population is 230,000. Hispanic-serving and Asian American Pacific Islander Native American-serving institution. Demographics – 70% are first generation to college, 62% are Pell Grant recipients and over 90% are from Central Valley. One of the most academically selective campuses in the CSU.
- National Top 25 Academic Rankings: Washington Monthly #17 (2017) and #24 (2018) and U.S. News and World Report #3 among public universities in Graduation Rate Performance (2018).
- Recruited top candidate in nearly all national searches for new Cabinet members.
- Increased new freshman student graduation rate (six-year) from 48% to over 58%. Campus goal is 70% graduation rate by 2023. Increased new community college transfer graduation rate (four-year) to 78%.
- Received five national awards from American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU) – Teacher Education (2013); Diversity (2013); International Programs (2015); Student Success (2017); and Embedding Community Engagement (2019).
- Initiated one of the nation’s leading-edge mobile tablet program for students and faculty (DISCOVERe), which has reduced textbook costs by over 70%; enhanced learning (one-half grade point higher on average); and increased engagement. 10,000 students and over 200 faculty members will participate in 2018-19.
- Developed one of the nation’s most comprehensive food security initiative that served over 5,000 students (unduplicated) in 2017-18. Student Cupboard (pantry) has served over 100,000 students (duplicated) since 2014. Supported by private funds.
- Raised over $100 million in private funds from over 10,000 donors to support campus academic and athletic programs. The number of donors to the President’s Circle of Excellence has increased dramatically and the total funds raised is the highest in our history. New quasi-endowment of $500,000 established in 2017.
- Secured $60 million in new public funds to upgrade the campus’ electrical infrastructure and for a new central plant (heating and cooling). Invested $130 million in physical infrastructure since 2013-141. Opened first new agricultural research center in the CSU system in May 2016.
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, SAN FRANCISCO 2006-2013
Student Academic Affairs
Special Assistant to the Chancellor
Student Academic Affairs
Associate Vice Chancellor
Student Academic Affairs
Managed annual operating budget of over $21 million, oversaw distribution of $126 million in student financial aid and supervise staff of 105.
- Leading budget and strategic planning effort to ensure financial stability for academic units in Provost’s Office, including Academic Affairs, Graduate Division, Library and Student Academic Affairs. Identified $750,000 in near-term cost-saving and revenue enhancement strategies.
- Initiated Center for Innovation in Interprofessional Education and recruited internationally acclaimed faculty member from Great Britain to be founding Director. The Center received a $2 million grant from the Moore Foundation within the first six months of being established.
- Collaborated with Provost to develop and implement initiative providing $3 million annually in new graduate fellowship funding, which has enabled UCSF to expand access to a larger number of talented and diverse students.
- Led successful campus reaccreditation with maximum ten-year renewal from Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
The Chronicle of Philanthropy ranks UCSF as one of the top fundraising organizations in the United States. For eight consecutive years, revenue from private support has surpassed the revenue UCSF receives from state appropriations. In 2011-12, UCSF received $329 million in private support. During the same fiscal year, state appropriations totaled 4 percent of UCSF’s $3.9 billion operating budget.
On behalf of the Chancellor, lead a four-year $100 million health science education initiative to ensure that UCSF continues to attract the best, brightest and most diverse students, regardless of their financial circumstances. UCSF has raised over $40 million to support education priorities across the campus. Collaborate with the Chancellor and other senior leaders on all major development efforts.
Entrepreneurial Strategic Initiatives
- Initiated and co-lead the development of new online education programs, including a new partnership with Coursera and the campus’ first online degree program scheduled for 2014. Our first three Coursera courses have attracted over 110,000 students. UCSF was the first UC campus to initiate a partnership with Coursera.
- Created a new endowment with an annual payout of $1 million to support educational technology infrastructure at UCSF through the sale of unused broadcast spectrum owned by the campus.
Governmental Relations/Board Relations
- Lead Senior Executive chosen to represent Chancellor in meetings with local, state and federal government elected leaders to advocate for resources to support campus and UC system.
- Create and deliver presentations to UCSF Foundation Board and UCSF Alumni Association Board.
- Led development of partnership with San Francisco Unified School District, which aims to eliminate the achievement gap between underrepresented and other students.
- Transformed the diversity of my direct reports group to include a significant number of women, people of color and LGBTQ leaders.
- Led development of UC’s first Interprofessional Health Education Post Baccalaureate Certificate Program, which has helped to increase the number of underrepresented students in the Schools of Dentistry, Medicine and Pharmacy.
- Initiated and co-chair of campus committee that conducted comprehensive review of diversity efforts and recommended first-ever Vice Chancellor of Diversity and Outreach position.
- Developed diversity plan that led to UCSF being named by Hispanic Business Magazine as the Top Medical School in the U.S. for Hispanic/Latino students.
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, SANTA BARBARA
Academic Preparation and Equal Opportunity
Campus Outreach Initiatives
- Founded new campus-wide outreach office that helped to propel UCSB into one of the most diverse AAU institutions in the nation and position it to be the first AAU member that is Hispanic-serving.
- Led campus effort to manage and renew a multimillion dollar grant from the W.K. Kellogg Foundation to support educational outreach programs.
- Secured funding from an array of external sources, including a $500k gift from business leader and philanthropist, James Jimenez, to support outreach programs.
- Initiated educational partnership with Santa Ynez Band of Chumash Indians, which led to the establishment of the Chumash Scholars Program.
- Represented Chancellor in campus and systemwide advocacy efforts with local, state and federal government elected leaders.
- Managed $3 million annual operating budget and 13 staff members.
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, MERCED
- Established new multidisciplinary academic centers in Fresno, Bakersfield and Merced.
- Developed campus’ first Division of Professional Development (Extension), Summer Session and Writing Project.
- Designed campus’ initial K-12 outreach programs, which helped UC Merced to enroll among the most diverse students in the UC system.
- Represented Chancellor in campus and systemwide advocacy efforts with local, state and federal government elected leaders.
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, BERKELEY
Richard and Rhoda Goldman School of Public Policy
- Collaborated with Dean to secure a $10 million gift from the Goldman Foundation, which was the school’s largest private gift at the time.
- Led national consortia to continue successful Public Policy and International Affairs Program, which prepared underrepresented students for graduate schools in public policy.
- Collaborated with Mitsubishi Electric America Foundation to create the nation’s first program to prepare students with disabilities for graduate schools in public policy.
- Initiated and managed successful multimillion dollar seismic retrofit and renovation project for the School’s historic 100-year old plus facility.
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT
Office of the Provost
- Provided information and analysis to the Provost and Vice Provost on a wide array of academic and physical planning matters for a new campus in San Joaquin Valley.
Senior Legislative Analyst
Office of State Governmental Relations
Office of State Governmental Relations
- Provided information and analysis on high priority legislation for Regents, UC President and Vice Presidents, Chancellors, Vice Chancellors, and student, faculty and staff leaders.
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, SAN FRANCISCO
School of Medicine
Courses taught: Leadership and Policy, Foundations of Patient Care, Health Policy (Health Care Organization and Finance).
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, SANTA BARBARA
Associate Professor (Adjunct)
Gevirtz School of Education
Courses taught: Higher Education Leadership and Policy, Education Policy Supervised doctoral dissertations
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, DAVIS
Educational Research Center (Fresno)
1998-2000 (Part time)
Assistant Professor (Adjunct)
School of Education
Course taught: Leaders and Leadership
Supervised doctoral dissertations
WESTERN ASSOCIATION OF SCHOOLS AND COLLEGES (WASC) LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE:
- Commissioner, 2018-Present
- Chair, WASC Nominating Committee, 2013-16
- WASC Accreditation Liaison Officer, University of California, San Francisco, 2006-Present
- Chair, WASC Visiting Team for Educational Effectiveness Review, Pacific College of Oriental Medicine, 2012
- Chair, WASC Visiting Team for Capacity and Preparatory Review, Pacific College of Oriental Medicine, 2011
- Chair, WASC Accreditation Steering Committee, University of California, San Francisco, 2006-10
- Member, WASC Visiting Team for Educational Effectiveness Review, University of California, San Diego, 2010
- Member, WASC Visiting Team for Capacity and Preparatory Review, University of California, San Diego, 2009
- Educause, IPAS-2 (Integrated Planning and Advising Services), $207,840, 2015
- Lumina Foundation, Community Partnership for Attainment, $125,000, 2015
- USDE – Title V, Promoting Postbaccaulareate Opportunities for Hispanic Americans, $558,485, 2014
- APLU + Coalition of Urban Serving Universities, Transformational Planning Grant, $225,000, 2014
- APLU – TPG Awardees Technical Assistance, Media Proposal, $50,000, 2014
- College Access Foundation, Data gathering on DISCOVERe, $27,000, 2014
- UC Office of the President, Health MESA Model, $100,000, 2011
- National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities, “Promoting Research Opportunities Fully-- Prospective Academics Transforming Health, $1.8 million, 2011 (with L. Aronsen and A. Fernandez)
- California Wellness Foundation, “UCSF Braintrust”, $5,000, 2010
- California Health Care Foundation, “UCSF Braintrust”, $15,000, 2010
- W.K. Kellogg Foundation, “California ENLACE” (with Sara Lundquist and Juan Lara),$1 million, 2005
- Santa Ynez Band of Chumash Indians, “Chumash Scholars Program”, $25,000, 2005
- Santa Barbara Foundation, “Project Success”, $57,000, 2005
- Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor, University of California, Santa Barbara, “Tomas Rivera: Artist, Activist and Leader” (with Naftaly Glasman), $8,000, 2004
- Ford Foundation/Rutgers University Institute for Women’s Leadership, “Re-Affirming Action: Designs for Diversity in Higher Education” (with Sarah Fenstermaker and John Mohr), $10,500, 2004
- Academic Senate Committee on Research, University of California, Santa Barbara, “The Leadership Style and Interactions of Tomas Rivera” (with Naftaly Glassman), $11,000, 2002
- California Policy Research Center, University of California, “Improving Administrative Leadership and Teacher Professional Development in Fresno and Kern Counties” (with Janet Chrispeels), $15,000, 2002
Themes: Leadership, Policy and Diversity in Higher Education
- Castro, J.I. and Castro, I. (2017) “Accelerating Student Success Through Bold Leadership” in Effective Leadership at Minority-Serving Institutions: Exploring Opportunities and Challenges for Leadership at MSI’s. New York, NY: Routledge Press
- Castro, J.I. “Why being a Good Leader is a Lot Like Riding a Different Bull Every Day”. The Fresno Bee, January 6, 2017
- Castro, J.I. (2016, Winter). The Path to Stronger and More Secure Campuses. Public Purpose Magazine – American Association of State Colleges and Universities, 19.
- Castro, J.I. (2015, Winter). Building Your Senior Leadership Team. Public Purpose Magazine – American Association of State Colleges and Universities, 22.
- Castro, J.I. (2014, September 29). Reflections on a University President, One Year into the Job. Huffington Post. Retrieved from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joseph-icastro/reflections-of-a-universi_b_5902874.html
- Castro, J.I., Fenstermaker, S., Mohr, J. and Guckenheimer, D. (2009), “Institutional Contexts for Faculty Leadership in Diversity: A UC Santa Barbara Case Study” in W. Brown-Glaude (ed.) Doing Diversity in Higher Education: Faculty Leaders Share Challenges and Strategies. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press.
- Castro, J.I., Fenstermaker, S., & Mohr, J. (2006). “Re-Affirming Action at UCSB: Faculty Commitment to Diversity and Change” in Re-Affirming Action: Designs for Diversity in Higher Education, Rutgers University Institute for Women’s Leadership.
- Castro, J.I. (2004), Promoting Leadership Development and Collaboration in Rural Schools. In Learning to Lead: The Challenge and Promise of Principals Sharing Leadership, J. Chrispeels (Ed.), Sage Publications.
- Editorial Board, Rethinking the SAT: The Future of Standardized Testing in University Admissions, Zwick, R. (Ed.), Falmer Press (2004).
- Castro, J.I., Chrispeels, J.H. & Arellano, B. (2003). Strengthening Leadership and Enhancing Teacher Professional Development in Rural Schools. University of California Policy Research Center Policy Brief Series.
- Castro, J.I., Fenstermaker, S., Mohr, J. and Guckenheimer, D. (2009). “The Role of the Faculty Activist in Creating Change in University Diversity Policies. Paper presented at the American Sociological Association Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
- Castro, J.I., Fenstermaker, S., Mohr, J. and Guckenheimer, D. (2009). “The Social Role of the Faculty Activist: A Practice Theory Approach to Structural Equivalence Mapping.” Paper presented at the Sunbelt Social Networks Conference, San Diego, CA.
- Castro, J.I., Fenstermaker, S., Mohr, J. and Guckenheimer, D. (2008). “The Role of Faculty in Institutional Governance and Change.” Paper presented at the Women’s Leadership Institute, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ.
- Castro, J.I., Fenstermaker, S., Mohr, J. and Guckenheimer, D. (2008). “Reproducing ‘The Divide’: Administrators’ Views of Faculty.” Paper presented at the American Sociological Association Meeting, Boston, MA.
- Castro, J.I., Fenstermaker, S., Mohr, J. and Guckenheimer, D. (2007). “Faculty as Institutional Change Agents: Preliminary Results from a National Survey Of The Professoriate.” Presentation at the “Changing the Culture of the Academy” Conference, Berkeley, CA.
- Castro, J.I., Glasman, N. & Runkle, K. (2004). The Leadership Style and Interactions of Tomas Rivera, Former Chancellor of the University of California, Riverside, Paper presented at 2004 Conference of the American Educational Research Association
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Man of the Year, City of Fresno, 2018
- CSU President of the Year, California State Student Association, 2018
- Latino Spirit Award, California Latino Legislative Caucus, 2017
- Partnership Award, Mayor of Fresno, 2017
- Giraffe Award, Fresno County Economic Development Corporation, 2017
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Award, City of Fresno, 2017
- Alumni Excellence in Education Award, Stanford University Graduate School of Education, 2016
- Ohtli Award, Government of Mexico, 2016
- Distinguished Servant Leadership Award, University of California, Berkeley, Center for Studies in Higher Education Executive Leadership Academy, 2016
- Horizon Award, Fresno Arts Council, 2015
- Spirit of Abraham Award, Islamic Center of Fresno, 2015
- Alumnus of the Year Award, University of California, Berkley, Richard and Rhoda Goldman School of Public Policy, 2014
- Keynote Speaker, Legends of China/Silk Road to the Future Program, 2014
- Power of 10 Award, University of California Office of the President, 2012
- Leadership Award, UCSF Council of Minority Organizations, 2011
- International Cooperation Award, Beijing Municipal Education Commission, 2011
- Keynote Speaker, Beijing International Higher Education Forum, 2011
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Award, University of California, San Francisco, 2010
- Administrator of the Year Award, University of California Student Association, 2010
- Profiles in Excellence Award, KGO-TV Channel 7 (ABC), 2010
- Keynote Speaker, Chancellor’s Award for Institutional Excellence Ceremony, University of California, Berkeley, 2009
- Keynote Speaker, Public Policy Students of Color Dinner, University of California, Berkeley, 2007
- Robert Rinker Inspiration Award, UC Santa Barbara, 2006
- Commencement Flagbearer, Stanford University School of Education, 1998
- Fellowship, Stanford University School of Education, 1994-1998
- Fellowship, U.S. Department of Education, 1995-96
- Fellowship, Alfred Sloan Foundation, 1987-90
- Fellowship, University of California, Berkeley, 1989-90
- Scholarship, National Hispanic Scholarship Fund, 1987 and 1990
- Award, University of California at Berkeley Educational Opportunity Program, 1987
- Scholarship, Kings County Council of Mexican American Women, 1984
- Scholarship, Kings County Sociedad Progresista, 1984
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY SERVICE (Partial List)
- Member, CSU Program for Education and Research in Biotechnology (CSUPERB) Presidents’ Commission - 2020
- Member, Technology Steering Committee - 2019
- Member, Search Committee for President, San Francisco State University, 2019
- Member, Search Committee for President, Chico State University, 2016
- Co-Chair, Admissions Advisory Council, 2015-Present
- Member, Advocacy Advisory Committee, 2015
- Member, Search Committee for Executive Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs, 2015
- Chair, Native American Initiative, 2014-17 • Member, Chancellor’s Senior Leadership Council, 2013-Present
- Member, Chancellor’s Agricultural Advisory Committee, 2013-Present
- Member, Agricultural Research Institute Advisory Board, 2013-Present
- Member, Water Resources and Policy Initiatives Advisory Board, 2013-Present
- Member, President’s Council on Underserved Communities, 2013-17
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA SERVICE (Partial List)
- Chair, Search Committee for UCSF Vice Provost for Academic Affairs, 2013
- Chair, Search Committee for UC System Associate Vice President for Admissions, 2013
- Co-Chair, UCSF Online Education Coordinating Committee, 2012-Present
- Member, Search Committee for UC System Provost, 2012
- Chair, UC Council of Vice Chancellors of Student Affairs, 2011-Present
- Member, UC President’s Council on Climate, Culture and Inclusion, 2010-Present
- Chair, UCSF Information Technology Governance Subcommittee on Education, 2010-Present
- Member, UCSF Council on Climate, Culture and Inclusion, 2010-Present
- Co-Chair, Student Health Insurance Program Advisory Board, University of California, 2010-12
- Co-Chair, Graduate Student Health Insurance Implementation Team, University of California, 2010
- Member, Chancellor’s Committee on Sustainability, 2010-Present
- Member, Chancellor’s Executive Committee, 2010
- Co-Chair, Diversity and Outreach Subcommittee, University of California, San Francisco, 2010
- Council of Vice Chancellors of Student Affairs, University of California, 2006-Present
- Co-Chair, Graduate Student Health Insurance Workgroup, University of California, 2008-09
- Chair, Faculty Steering Committee, University of California Linguistic Minority Research Institute, 2007-09
- Chair, Academic Calendar Committee, University of California, San Francisco, 2008
- Chair, Academic Outreach Committee, University of California, San Francisco, 2007-08
- Chancellor’s Academic Diversity Committee, University of California, San Francisco, 2006-10
- Advisory Board, Center for Chicano Studies, University of California, Santa Barbara, 2004-2006
- Advisory Board, ENLACE y Avance Program, 2001-2006
- Search Committee, Dean, Gevirtz Graduate School of Education, University of California, Santa Barbara, 2004-2005
- Chair, University of California, Santa Barbara Gevirtz Graduate School of Education Administrative Services Credential Review Panel, 2003-04
- Coordinating Committee, UC Faculty Outreach Conference, 2004
- Executive Vice Chancellor’s Task Force on Graduate Diversity, University of California, Santa Barbara, 2004
- Executive Vice Chancellor’s Task Force on Conflict Resolution, University of California, Santa Barbara, 2004
- Admissions Committee, University of California, Santa Barbara/California Polytechnic San Luis Obispo Joint Doctoral Program in Educational Leadership, 2003
- Editorial Board, University of California, Santa Barbara SAT Conference Publication, 2002-04
- Joint Steering Committee, University of California and the California County Superintendents Association, 2002-05
- University of California, Santa Barbara Sexual Harassment Advisory Panel, 2001-06
- University of California, Davis /California State University, Fresno Joint Doctoral Program in Educational Leadership Faculty Graduate Group, 1999-Present
- School Partnership Leaders Group, 1998-2002
- University of California/Greenlining Institute Partnership Executive Committee, UC Merced Sub-Committee and Undergraduate and Graduate Outreach Committee, 2001-02
- Presidential Advisory Committee on Master Plan for Higher Education, 2000-02
- Commission on the Support and Growth of Graduate Education, 2000-01
- Design Team, University of California, Santa Barbara/California Polytechnic San Luis Obispo Joint Doctoral Program in Educational Leadership, 2002
- Council of Vice Chancellors of Undergraduate and Student Affairs, 1999-01
- Council of Deans of Education, 1999-01
- Summer Sessions Directors, 2000-01
- College Prep Initiative Advisory Committee, 1998-01
- University of California at San Francisco Partnership for Health Education Board of Directors, 1998-01
- Systemwide Vice President of Educational Outreach Advisory Board, 2000-01
- Search Committee, UC/CSU Joint Doctoral Program in Educational Leadership Co-Director, 2001
- University of California at Berkeley Goldman School of Public Policy Diversity Council, 1997-99
- University of California at Berkeley Chicano/Latino Policy Project Executive Advisory Board, 1994-1997
- Volunteer Recruiter in the San Joaquin Valley, University of California at Berkeley Office of Admissions, 1994-96
PROFESSIONAL/COMMUNITY SERVICE AND AFFILIATIONS (Partial List)
- Member, USDA-HACU Leadership Group, 2020
- Member, Board of Directors and Investment Committee, Lumina Foundation, 2019
- Member, The Campaign for College Opportunity Advisory Council, 2019
- Member, Board of Managers, College Football Playoff Foundation, 2019
- Member, WASC Senior College and University Commission, 2018-Present
- Harvard Graduate School of Education, Harvard Seminar for Presidential Leadership, 2018
- Member, Stanford University Graduate School of Education Advisory Board, 2018- Present
- Member, California Community College’s Chancellor’s External Leadership Advisory Council, 2018-Present
- Member, Jumpstart National Board, 2017-Present
- Member, Irvine Foundation Leadership Award Selection Committee, 2015-Present
- Member, Board of Directors, Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities, 2014- Present
- Chair, Board of Directors, Mountain West Conference, 2016-18
- Chair, Central Valley Higher Education Consortium 2016-18
- The Aspen Institute, Aspen Global Leadership Network, Aspen Action Forum (Resnick Fellows), 2015
- Vice Chair, Board of Directors, Mountain West Conference, 2015-16
- Co-Chair, US Department of Agriculture/Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities Partnership, 2014-16
- Chair, Hispanic Caucus, Association of State Colleges and Universities, 2014-16
- Member, Board of Trustees, Fresno County Boys and Girls Club, 2014-Present
- Member, Board of Trustees, Central Sierra Historical Society, 2014-Present
- Member, Executive Committee, Central Valley Higher Education Consortium, 2013- Present
- President (2011) and Board of Directors, Canal Alliance (San Rafael, CA), 2010-2013
- Board of Trustees, Future Leaders of America, 2005-2008
- Member, Santa Barbara Latino Student Achievement Task Force, 2004-2006
- Board of Trustees, La Casa de la Raza (Santa Barbara, CA), 2003-04
- Member, School Site Council, Isla Vista Elementary School, 2001-2003
- Member, University of California at Berkeley Order of the Golden Bear, 1987-Present
- Board of Trustees, Arte Americas,1999-2001
- Board of Directors, Central Valley Technology Center, 1998-2001
- Executive Committee, Central California Higher Education Consortium, 1998-2001
- Board of Directors, Fresno Area Stanford University Alumni Association, 1998-2001
- Invited University Interviewer, Edmund Muskie Fellowship Program, Kiev and Lviv, Ukraine, 1997
- Invited University Interviewer, Edmund Muskie Fellowship Program, Vladivostok, Russia,1995
- Advisory Board Member, Academy for Educational Development Policy, 1994-1997
Last updated on April 16, 2020