The Importance of Internships
Internships are essential to your success in your future career. Internships are the answer to the age old question, "How do I get a job without experience and how do I get experience without a job?"
By participating in an internship you can:
- "Test Drive" your future career.
- Gain experience to add to your resume.
- Develop valuable networking contacts who can help you in your job search in the future.
- Become more competitive in the job market.
- Enhance the skills every employer wants in a new employee including communication, teamwork, time management, strong work ethic and problem solving.
Regardless of whether or not you take an internship course, every college student can participate in an internship.
Steps to Getting an Internship
- Meet with the Coordinator of Internships and Professional Experiences during your Freshman or Sophomore Year to discuss internship options.
- Explore internships through our HireFresnoState Internship & Job Posting System or through other internship sites.
- Develop your resume and learn effective interviewing skills.
- Follow the Internship Timeline (233kb) to land your internship at the right time.
- If you are planning on taking an internship for course credit, meet with the faculty member teaching the course in your academic department prior to registering for the class to insure that your internship meets the guidelines for the course.
If you have any questions, contact Imelda S. Dudley, the Coordinator of Internships and Professional Experiences, by calling 559.278.4019.