The Jordan College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology

Picture
Danielle Evans
Danielle Evans
Danielle Evans
Danielle Evans
Danielle Evans

Student Research Spotlight: Danielle Evans

Last November, Dani Evans became the first Fresno State plant science graduate student to win the Entomological Society of America's annual infographic competition (*see graphic at bottom) held at its national conference.

She competed against 17 other students from across the nation (as well as three international submissions), and her presentation focused on research related to leaffooted bugs that are a common pest for more than 20 crops in the San Joaquin Valley.

Her analysis of stomach content is using plant DNA to help determine their migration pattern before they start to affect plants (and can cause blemishes and shriveling in commodities such as almonds, pistachios and pomegranates).

Learn more about the Bakersfield native and first-generation college student who chose Fresno State to shift her career focus to agriculture in this interview.

Q: Give us a little bit of background on your graduate program research project.

Evans: "I'm doing a gut-content analysis of Leptoglossus zonatus (leaffooted bug), which is infesting California orchards. This entails using molecular tools to answer ecological questions, such as what they’re eating prior to infesting orchards and what they feed on during overwintering periods. My project also has several experiments that look at the biology of the leaffooted bug, which includes many questions related to feeding habits and diet retention."

Q: Why did you pick that topic, and how will it help growers?

Evans: "I chose this topic because of my inherent interest in leaffooted bug and using molecular techniques for ecological concerns. Leaffooted bug infestations have been on the rise in tree nut orchards, and since these trees nuts are increasing with acreage in California, leaffooted bug management is an increasing concern among growers. There isn’t much data on damage or infestation thresholds, and I hope that my project can begin to pave the way for researchers to achieve a better understanding on how to manage them."

Q: Which faculty member(s) are you working with?

Evans: "I am working with (plant science department entomology faculty) Dr. Jacob Wenger on this project, and he has been an incredible mentor and P.I. throughout my journey. It is also important to mention that Dr. Houston Wilson, my supervisor at Kearney Agricultural Research and Extension Center in Parlier is co-Principal Investigator (PI) on this project as well. Both of these gentlemen have been excellent in guiding me through challenges I face."

Evans: "Dr. Jorge Gonzalez, who is a previous JCAST faculty member, as well as the advisor through a past summer internship, has also been a key member to my success. He taught me that dealing with agricultural issues is not always about sprays to make them go away. To tackle pests, you have to know your pest. His background in insect biology was a significant proponent for me to want to explore that further. "

Q: What are some key things you've learned from this research?

Evans: "One of the most significant takeaways from this research has been that it is important to be patient. Research is not something that happens over a great deal of time and effort. Because of this, my understanding of my work has only increased, and it is a big motivator to keep moving forward even when experiments go haywire."

Q: Why did you choose to attend Fresno State?

Evans: "I chose Fresno State because it is a university known for applicable agriculture. I wanted to be at a school that fit the academic expectations for myself as well as being close to my hometown of Bakersfield. The day I toured the campus and met several professors, including Dr. Wenger, I knew this was the campus where I wanted to pursue my undergraduate degree. With my close relationship with Dr. Wenger and his style of teaching, and his guidance through understanding molecular biology and entomology, it was an opportunity I couldn’t refuse to continue my education in graduate studies."

Q: Do you receive any type of Jordan College scholarships? 

Evans: "I received the Jordan scholarship which provides a stipend for me to continue doing my research on the leaffooted bug. I also received the Agricultural Research Institute’s Hispanic Serving Institutions Fellowship, which is meant to recognize minorities in agricultural science, and as a woman in a male-dominated field, it is an honor to be a part of this cohort for the year. They also financially support my research." 

Q: Do you work at any farm units or facilities that are part our University Agricultural Laboratory?

Evans: "I do not work at any farm units, but I do work frequently at the Jordan Agricultural Research Center on campus. The facility has state of the art equipment for me to conduct the various tests that I do for my project. I am a student researcher, and I have had this title since beginning this project."

Q: Have you had any internships or part-time jobs while at Fresno State?

Evans: "In the summer of 2017, I did an internship at an organic farm for 10 weeks at Harvest Fields Organic Farm. It was probably the hardest work I have ever done, and involved various tasks such as hand weeding, packing produce for community supported agriculture, harvesting, greenhouse management, and integrated pest management with organic practices." 

Q: What skills or experiences did you gain from the internship that they can apply to your career options?

Evans: "Working in difficult environments was a significant skill I learned working at the farm. I realized the effort and diligence it takes to run a family farm, even if it was only 4 acres, and there was so much to take care of. This internship sparked my interest in pursuing careers related to agricultural ecology as conventional practices for pest management were limited to organics. There were so many limitations, but it provided the opportunity to think outside the box, study the biology of the pests I was dealing with, and come up with a plan to tackle the problem. Whether it’s actual pest management, or troubleshooting in the lab, this train of thought has been more than useful in my current career and future career decisions." 

Q: What was your background in agriculture before you started at Fresno State? 

Evans: "I didn’t have much agricultural background before coming to Fresno State. I initially was a photography major at my junior college in Bakersfield, and I decided to make the switch to plant science when a more applicable major was necessary for my success. Photography was a hobby, and I wanted to find a career that I enjoyed that was separate from my artistic background."

Q: Are there any other interesting notes about yourself?

Evans: "I intended on taking a more artistic route with my adult career, and since pursuing an agricultural career, art remains as a frequent hobby in my spare time. The two have recently begun to overlap as I make presentations about my research. I have thoroughly enjoyed using my artistic skills to convey scientific ideas, and having my interests overlap in my work has truly made me happy.

Q: Have you had to overcome any challenges or obstacles to get to where you are today that have shaped you are? 

Evans: "To be frank, battling chronic depression throughout my endeavors has made me a much stronger person. I have had many seasons of wanting to quit everything, but maintaining hope that it would pass and to keep moving forward, regardless of what the illness tells me, is something I have to remind myself of daily. It’s a consistent struggle, but with each passing day, it gets a little easier to keep pushing and remembering all the people who believe in me and what I do."

Q: After graduation, what's your potential next career step, and how would you like to use your degree  eventually?

Evans: "Molecular work has proven to be a strong suit for me, and I believe using my knowledge in this area can be useful in several aspects of agriculture. I hope to continue doing similar techniques in the future, as my boss calls me, as a “Molecular Ecologist”. Understanding the relationships between organisms and how they influence their environment is something I will consistently be curious about."

Research Poster