May 2018 E-News
Join us in the North Bay Area July 11 and 12!
This year’s North Bay Alumni and Friends dinner will be held on July 11 at the Santa Rosa Junior College Shone Farm. Tickets include wine tasting, silent auction and dinner, plus an opportunity to tour Shone Farm before the event. The following day, we will be hosting an alumni and friends luncheon in Napa! Join us for a lunch gathering and social on July 12. More information coming soon!
Turf Day Golf Classic was a great success
Thank you to all who supported the 47th annual Turf Day Golf Classic held on Monday, May 14 at the Belmont Country Club. More than 100 players joined us for a swinging good time including lunch sponsored by Nichino America, Inc., 19th Hole Social Hour sponsored by IBS Supplies, Inc. and Eric Pederson – BASF, and dinner sponsored by Zenith Agribusiness Solutions. Congratulations to the winning teams: 1st Place team based on Peoria Scoring - Ed Lazaroti, Randy Miles, Robert Pratt and Loren Buller, and the Low Gross Team - Jonathan Hoff, Brendan O'Donnell, Aaron Attebery and Andre Navarro.View Photos →
Fresno State produces its largest graduating class in history
Fresno State’s 107th Commencement season was highlighted by the main University Commencement ceremony on Saturday, May 19, at the Save Mart Center. About 6,076 Fresno State students were eligible for degree conferral by University President Joseph I. Castro. Pending final certification of spring 2018 degrees, it would be the highest number of degrees ever awarded at Fresno State in an academic year. Join us in congratulating the class of 2018! Read more →
Farewell to outgoing Ag One Directors
At the May 7th Board of Directors meeting, Ag One recognized five outgoing directors for their continuous support. Please join us in thanking Ron Hardy, Guri Bhangoo, John Migliazzo, Julie Baloian-Grabe and Rick Leonard for their devoted service to the Jordan College over the past six years.
Director John O’Rourke recognized as Pack Leader for membership outreach
Ag One Board Member John O’Rourke brought in the most new Ag One members last quarter, which earned him the title of Pack Leader! Ag One membership helps continue the tradition of providing students with the highest-quality teaching and learning environment possible. Members and supporters form the foundation for the funding we receive. With a strong foundation, we can build a great academic environment. Many thanks to John for his effort in recruiting new members, and special thanks to all members for your support of the Jordan College! Membership Info →
Ag One Board Member Pat V. Ricchiuti and son Vincent featured in Alumni News
In 1914, Italian native Vincenzo Ricchiuti immigrated to the western United States with dreams of a successful farming company. Some 100 years later, his grandson, Pat V. Ricchiuti (1970) and great grandson, Vincent Ricchiuti (2005), are keeping the family business alive. Pat's father started P-R Farms, Inc. in 1956 after returning home from WWII. Although the business has been historically driven by almond sales, it has since grown to include products such as grapes, olives, citrus, and tree fruit. Today, P-R Farms, Inc. remains the parent company to the family’s newly added olive oil brand, Enzo Olive Oil, retail store, Enzo’s Table, and real estate company, Heritage Development.Read more →
Rabobank N.A. and Tony DeGroot family meet recipient of scholarship
On May 10, representatives from Rabobank N.A. met with one of the recipients of the Tony DeGroot scholarship, which the bank established last year in memory of one of the area’s most respected and innovative dairy farmers. The scholarship provides one year’s full tuition and a $500 book stipend for a student in the Jordan College. The recipient, Devyn Contreras, is a Kerman native studying animal science with a focus on equestrian. Read more →
Alumni present check for endowment at Meat Science Dinner
On Friday, May 4, the department of animal sciences and agricultural education hosted the annual Meat Industry Appreciation Dinner and Product Development Food Showcase, where students from the advanced meat technology class presented their products for competition. At this dinner, four of the six alumni who established the Meat Science Laboratory Scholarship Endowment presented a check and discussed the endowment that they have created for students who are currently working or have previously worked at the Meat Science Laboratory on campus. Read more →
Ag One office receives new sign
Faculty member John Williams and student assistant Cassidy Steenbock recently made a steel Ag One sign using the new computer numerical control (CNC) plasma cutting table in the mechanized agriculture lab. The CNC machine is an addition to the ag mechanics shop as a result of a generous donation from Dr. James and Carol Moller. Read more →
Dr. James Moller with President Castro, Dean Witte, faculty and students at the gift announcement
Spring 2018 Fresno State Magazine now available online
Alumni and friends can now view the Spring 2018 Fresno State magazine online, which features a story about the generous gift from Dr. James and Carol Moller to the agriculture mechanics laboratory on campus. Under the Fresno State News Briefs section of the website, you will find the Moller story with the headline “Unique Motivation Behind a Generous Gift”. Read more →
Planting the seeds of success...
- Congratulations to the Jordan College Graduate Dean’s Medalist, Jacob Vazquez who completed his master’s degree in agricultural science with a 4.0 GPA. A Cottonwood native, Jacob was an NCAA all-academic offensive lineman for Fresno State Football and was involved in the Jordan College Multicultural Scholar program for rural area high school ag students. Read more →
- Congratulations to the Jordan College Undergraduate Dean’s Medalist, Kaitlin Britton, who completed her bachelor’s degree in agricultural business with a 3.97 GPA. A Modesto native, she was an all-academic Mountain West Conference swimming and diving team honoree and is active in various community outreach projects. Read more →
- On Friday, May 18, Ag One had the honor of hosting a reception for Jordan College graduates and their family and friends before the Convocation Ceremony at the Save Mart Center. View photos →
- Please join us in congratulating the following faculty and staff honored at the Jordan College’s 7th Annual Appreciation and Recognition reception: FFA Field Day Dedication Award - Mr. Don Vasconcellos, Plant Science; Distinguished Service Award- Ms. Ellen Suryadi, Center for Irrigation Technology;Outstanding Research and Scholarly Activity Award - Dr. Amanda McKeith, Animal Sciences and Agricultural Education;Nicolas Salgo-Noren Excellence in Teaching Award - Dr. Todd Lone, Agricultural Business.
- The Horticulture Nursery will host the Summer Kids Ag Camp July 16-20 for youth ages 5 – 10 years. Read more →
- The Fresno State Winery has released new wines available for purchase! Read more →
- Four Fresno State students were recognized with ag scholar awards from 23rd District Assemblyman Jim Patterson. Read more →
- Fresno State will receive part of $5 Million Food and Ag Irrigation Research Grant. Read more →
July 11-12, 2018 North Bay Alumni and Friends Events
Become an Ag One member!
If you’re not already a member, please consider joining Ag One and receive 10% off selected items like wine and olive oil at the Rue and Gwen Gibson Farm Market! Join or renew your existing membership today!