Summer Academy in Science, Technology,
Engineering & Mathematics, 2018
Monday, June 18 - Friday, June 22, 8:00am - 3:00pm
for Elementary, Middle, and High School Students
The Department of Mathematics at California State University, Fresno in collaboration with San Joaquin Valley Mathematics Project (SJVMP) and Mathematics and Science Teacher Initiative (MSTI) offers a unique opportunity for motivated elementary and middle school students to experience a challenging and enjoyable learning opportunity.
Interested elementary, and middle school students are invited to apply for this intensive, fun-filled, learning experience.
- Intensive learning experience through challenging tasks in an enjoyable environment.
- Hands-on learning through fun-filled activities and projects.
- Change the way you think and feel about mathematics and learning.
- Learn to use dynamic mathematical software and other visual creation software to explore mathematical concepts.
- Improve your reasoning and mathematics thinking skills.
- Earn California State University, Fresno Certificate of Accomplishment.
- Meet new friends, expert teachers and university professors at Fresno State.
Elementary school STEM concepts
Explore and build models for aviation and scientific exploration suitable for ages 10-11; learn key Mathematical concepts such as shapes, dimensions, angles, and area; investigate 3D objects and explore concepts such as volume and surface area through hands-on projects, activities, real life problems and the use of technology, science and Engineering. Appropriate for grades 4-6.
Middle school STEM concepts
Explore and build models for aviation and scientific exploration suitable for ages 11-14; learn key Mathematical concepts such as proportions, prospective, area, volume and surface area congruence and similarity through hands-on projects and activities; solve real life problems using technology, science and Engineering. Appropriate for grades 6-9.
High school STEM concepts
Learn Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) concepts in more depth through hands-on projects and activities and debates. Students will learn presentation skills and use of mathematical software that will be useful when applying for universities. This is suitable for ages 14-17. This workshop is designed to develop appreciation of mathematics that students learn in grades 9-12.
**SPACE IS LIMITED**
Registration by May 13, 2018: $185
Registration after May 13, 2018: $235
Fees include materials, handouts, morning snacks, lunch, and the use of labs and software. There may be few scholarships available for eligible students.