Speech Language Pathology

To All Prospective Graduate Applicants:

Please note that as per the requirements of ASHA (American Speech Language Hearing Association), the Department of Communicative Sciences and Deaf Studies at California State University, Fresno has implemented a 36-unit graduate program effective fall 2003 semester. All students admitted into the Speech-Language Pathology graduate program in fall 2003 semester or thereafter, will be required to complete the 36-unit program.

The Master of Arts (MA) in Speech-Language Pathology Program at California State University, Fresno is accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA) of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 2200 Research Boulevard #310, Rockville, Maryland 20850, 800-498-2071 or 301-296-5700.

Graduate Requirements

Credentials in Speech-Language Pathology

Speech-Language Pathology Services Credential Process

Students must complete the Speech-Language Pathology Services Credential before they can work as speech-language pathologists in the school setting. Individuals accepted into the graduate program must complete the M.A. in Speech-Language Pathology before they are issued the credential.

Certification of Clinical Competence for Speech-Language Pathologists

Completion of the master's degree fulfills all the academic and clinical practicum requirements for the Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) in Speech Pathology. A Clinical Fellowship Year (CFY) of paid, professional, supervised experience is required along with passing the Praxis II Speech-Language Pathology Test before the certificate is granted by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA). The Certification of Clinical Competence is required for employment in nearly all work settings except the public schools. All students are encouraged to acquire national certification regardless of the work setting they may choose.

California License as a Speech-Language Pathologist

The master's degree fulfills all academic and clinical practicum requirements for the State license. A year of Required Professional Experience (RPE) is necessary along with passing the Praxis Test before the license is issued by the California Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology and Hearing Aid Dispensers Board . The license is required for employment in almost all settings except the public schools.

The CFY and RPE can be completed concurrently when graduates accept their first professional position.