BSN Program Admission Policies & Procedures
Fresno State's BSN program is on impacted status (the number of applications received is greater than the number of vacancies for the program). Therefore, admission into the nursing major is very competitive; there is no waiting list. Applicants must reapply each time and compete with the entire applicant pool if not selected.
|Oral Communication (COMM 3, 7, or 8)||A1||3|
|Written Communication (ENGL 5B or 10)||A2||3|
|Critical Thinking (SOC 3 preferred)||A3||3|
|Statistics (MATH 11 or PH 92 preferred)||B4||3|
|General Chemistry (CHEM 3A)||B1 & B3||4|
|Introductory Microbiology (BIOL 20)||B2||4|
|Anatomy & Physiology I (BIOL 67A)*||4|
|Anatomy & Physiology II (BIOL 67B)*||4|
*Human Anatomy and Human Physiology courses taken at the Community Colleges will be accepted. Verify courses through FSNursingAdmissions@mail.fresnostate.edu.
Prerequisite Course Policy
- Each prerequisite must be completed with a minimum 'C' grade
- CR/NC grades are NOT accepted (excluding Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate
- Students are able to repeat one failed prerequisite within the eight prerequisite courses.
- First course taken in each category with a grade of "C" or higher will be counted
- Online, web-based, or distance learning science and laboratory courses taken at other institutions must be approved by the School of Nursing
All Pre-Requisites courses must be completed the semester before application to the program.
Current Fresno State Student
Prospective Fresno State Student
*See Supplemental Application Information.
**Attention NON-Fresno State Students**
Unfortunately due to high volume, we cannot accommodate requests for evaluation of transcript(s) and/or GPA calculation during the application cycle
Supplemental Application Information
- Supplemental application is accessed via NursingCAS (www.nursingcas.org)
- NursingCAS Instructions: NCAS Guide
- TEAS Sample: Individual Performance Profile
- Application fee is $50
Fall Admission Cycle
Spring Admission Cycle
(July 1 - 31)
Open to ALL eligible applicants.(Transfer, 2nd Baccalaureate, Continuing Fresno State Pre-Health students)
Open to all eligible continuing Fresno State Pre-Health student applicants and Second Baccalaureate students.
*NOTE: NursingCAS application deadline is before 8:59pm PST (11:59PM EST).
Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS)
Effective Fall 2017
- Maximum of two attempts to earn the required 75% or higher. Students will be allowed to take the TEAS beyond 2 attempts, only after 5 years have passed from the first attempt.
- TEAS VI is only accepted.
- TEAS V still accepted if taken prior to Fall 2017 with a score of 75% or higher.
- Testing Services (559-278-2457, Family/Food Sciences 110)
- Visit the TEAS website for more information: www.atitesting.com
Post-Baccalaureate Nursing Admissions
- Apply to the University through Cal State Apply
- Fall Application filing period: October 1 - January 30th
- Spring Application filing period: August 1st - August 31st
- Apply to School of Nursing Supplemental Application through NursingCAS
- Application filing period: See Supplemental Application Information for Fall and Spring Admissions Cycle
- Meet minimum eligibility.
- May have two Pre-Requisites in progress at time of application
- Provide DD214 with an honorable discharge.
Nursing Admissions & University Policies
Nursing Admissions Policies
- Transfer students must directly apply to Fresno State's BSN Program as a Nursing Major.
- Pre-Nursing is discontinued as of Fall 2019 and students will need to directly apply to the program
- If a student is not admitted to the Nursing Program they will be admitted to their secondary choice.
- If a students starts in their secondary choice they must graduate with that major and reapply as a second bachelors applicant. Once a students starts at the university they will not be allowed to apply to the Nursing Program.
- Incoming Freshman: Will apply as Pre-Health Majors and follow specific Pre-Health criteria to apply to the Nursing Program.
Adding a Second Major
- Students who wish to declare a second major must submit a plan approved by the department offering the second major which demonstrates that the new major can be completed within 144 units. Students may not add a second major after completing the requirement for their first major unless students have not exceeded 120 earned units at the time of declaration.
Changing a Major
- Student requests to change a major must be approved by the department of the new major/option indicating that the student has been advised. If the student has 90 or more earned units, the request to the new department must be accompanied by a plan demonstrating that the new major can be completed within 144 units. If you are exceeding 144 units, the plan and request to change major or minor must be reviewed by Dean of Undergraduate Studies. Subject to approval.
International Students / Coursework & Admissions Eligibility
No prerequisite courses taken at an international institution are accepted to fulfill the nursing admissions prerequisites. Equivalent prerequisite course and nursing additional requirements must be taken and/or repeated at domestic institution in the U.S.
For questions regarding the Nursing application, please contact the Nursing Admissions Office / CHHS ACDC at 559.278.5027 or via email at FSNursingAdmissions@mail.fresnostate.edu.