Natural Sciences - Biology Option, B.A.
Bachelor of Arts Degree Requirements Natural Sciences Major - Biology Option
The B.A. in Natural Sciences Biology Option serves to establish subject matter competency through coursework as approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC), which waives the California Subject Exam for Teachers (CSET), and streamlines the process for students to enter the Single Subject Teaching Credential program in Science. This degree program is primarily designed for students who plan to become middle or high school science teachers; however, the program is also suitable for students who have interest in other science career options. Please contact CSM Advising and Resources Center (ARC) at 559.278.4150 for advising and more information.
1. Major Requirements (75-77 units)
Natural Science (3 units)
Physical Science (4 units)
Biology Option (39-41 units)
CHEM 8 or 128A (3 units)
PHYS 2A, 2B (see note 1) (8 units)
MATH 75 (4 units)
MATH 101 or PSYCH 42 (4 units)
BIOL 102, 103, 104, 105 (10 units)
BIOL 120 (4 units)
Select one course: BIOL 122, 124, 125, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 171, 172 (3-4 units)
Select one course: BIOL 160, 161, 162 and 162L, 163 (3-4 units)
2. General Education requirements (49 units) (See note 2)
3. Other requirements (9 units)
American Government and Institutions (PLSI 2), Multicultural and International (MI), and Upper-division writing
4. Sufficient elective units to meet required total units (varies)
5.Total (120 units)*
* G.E. and MI courses can be double-counted with major requirements. The writing requirement may be met by taking the upper-division writing exam. See advisor for details.
Advising Notes for all Options within the Natural Sciences Major
- Substitutions may be made with the permission of the appropriate department chair. PHYS 4A-B-C with labs 4AL, 4BL is recommended instead of PHYS 2A-B for those students well-prepared for physics.
- This total assumes that students in this option will maximize 13 units required for the major that also may be applied to fulfill General Education requirements as follows: CHEM 1A/1AL (4 units), BIOL 1A (3 units), EES 168 (3 units) and, depending on emphasis and choice, MATH 75 (3 units). Consult your major advisor for details.
In compliance with Federal Requirements for Posting Licensure and Certification Eligibility, please see the CSU Chancellor’s Office calstate.edu website.
B.A. in Natural-Sciences - Biology
A Roadmap identifies the specific set of courses students must complete in their major in sequential order. Information on corequisites or prerequisites is listed along with other pertinent information to assist students in completing courses towards the major.
Please note: Roadmaps are not a guarantee of course availability.
If you are looking for archived roadmaps, please click here.