University flag tribute -Memorial Day 2016

University flag tribute -Memorial Day 2016

Postby madona » Fri May 27, 2016 8:47 am

Dear campus community

We have completed another successful academic year and as we head into a three-day Memorial Day weekend, I ask you to join Mary and me in reflection of this observance.

Throughout the year, we celebrate the many blessings and opportunities afforded us in this great nation, and certainly here in our community and on campus. Yet we may not always readily recall the great sacrifices by so many Americans from all backgrounds and corners of our country who served with valor, courage and distinction in the United States Armed Forces and gave the full measure of their lives in doing so.

I am personally proud that here at Fresno State, we have dedicated permanent observances to the memory of alumni who are counted among those heroes with our Memorial Courtyard and its Memorial Fountain. Our U.S. Submarines Memorial on the Maple Mall also serves as a daily reminder.

Let us join our nation this weekend in remembering and thanking those who have paid the ultimate price to defend the United States and the principles upon which America was founded, paying tribute as well to the many who serve today.

We will do so by joining the nation in posting the University’s national and state flags at half-staff on Monday, May 30, from sunrise to noon, then raising them to full staff for the remainder of the day, per the U.S. Flag Code.

Joseph I. Castro, Ph.D., M.P.P.
President
madona

Return to President's Messages