Mathematics Lecture Series, Fall 2012
Fresno State

Dr. William Y. Velez
University of Arizona

“Mathematics changed my life”

Friday, October 26, 2012
from 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Science 145

It almost killed me at first. In my first semester in college I was a chemical engineering major and enrolled in calculus. I could not understand my calculus class and dropped it, falling back to college algebra and trig. That first semester I earned nine units of Ds (It is hard to believe but I do have a Ph.D. in mathematics and hold the post of University Distinguished Professor). I made a momentous decision in my second semester in college. I dropped engineering but re-took calculus. I did OK. In my fourth semester I decided I was going to earn a PhD in mathematics or physics. I was hooked, I was fascinated. It changed my life. The fact that I made that decision to continue on in mathematics provided me with the tools to address a complex array of problems. Understanding mathematics has been fun, applying it to solve problems dealing with military communication systems has been exciting, introducing students to world-shaking mathematical ideas continues to be exhilarating. This is the message that I try to convey to students.

For further information, please contact Dr. Tamas Forgacs at (559) 278-4907 or e-mail tforgacs@csufresno.edu.
Sieumuoi Delcroix
Administrative Support Coordinator
Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences
Main Office 559.278.3086
Fax: 559.278.5980
staing

Return to Seminars and Workshops