A seminar by the Microbiology faculty candidate

"APOBEC3 Proteins: Protective Roles and Pathogenic Consequences "

by Dr. Allison Land
Post-doctoral Research Associate
University of Minnesota

Thursday, February 26, 2015
3:00 – 4:00 PM
Science 2, room 109

I am interested in determining the mechanisms by which host immune proteins that mutagenize viral DNA are kept from damaging cellular genomic DNA. I am particularly fascinated by the human APOBEC3 family of deaminases. Many family members have antiviral activities, and the most well studied viral target is HIV-1. Additionally, we and others have recently implicated one member (APOBEC3B) in cancer mutations. However, APOBEC3A is the most potent APOBEC3 deaminase in vitro. This begs the questions: How is APOBEC3A targeted to its specific viral substrate, and can APOBEC3A be misregulated to cause oncogenic mutations? My innovative research program will tackle these intriguing puzzles.
Dr. Allison Land has a B.S. in Microbiology and a Ph.D. in Medical Microbiology from the University of Manitoba, Canada. Dr. Land is currently a post-doctoral research associate at the University of Minnesota.

If you need a disability-related accommodation or wheelchair access, please contact Lindasue Garner at the Department of Biology at 278.2001 or e-mail lgarner@csufresno.edu (at least one week prior to event).
cdouglas

Return to Seminars and Workshops