California State University, Fresno
Department of Biology
Presents

HARMIT SINGH MALIK
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle WA
“How Genetic conflicts shape biology”

Friday, March 21, 2014
University Business Center (UBC) 191 @ 12:00 – 1:00 PM

The eukaryotic cell has been traditionally viewed as an exquisitely designed symbiotic network of genes in co-evolutionary equilibrium. However, several fundamental features of our genes and genomes belie the expectation that they have reached an optimal functional state. Instead, a view is emerging that eukaryotic genomes harbor a conglomerate of different genetic entities, each with their own agenda and each locked in conflict with other genetic entities for evolutionary dominance. My lab is interested in understanding two forms of genetic conflict: intrinsic (within genome) conflicts that shape eukaryotic genome architecture, and extrinsic (between genomes) conflicts that shape genes involved in host-pathogen interactions. I will describe our studies of the antiviral protein PKR and its conflict with the poxviral antagonist K3L, to investigate how these arms races shape both host and viral genomes. I will also describe our studies on an ancient conflict between centromeric proteins and DNA, two essential components of the chromosome segregation apparatus in eukaryotes. This unusual conflict can give rise to rapid evolution of the essential chromosome segregation apparatus and may underlie the reproductive isolation between incipient species.

Co-sponsored by the Department of Biology and Research Infrastructure for Minority Institutions Program (RIMI)

If you need a disability-related accommodation or wheelchair access, please contact Katie Williams at the Department
of Biology at 278-2001, or e-mail katiew@csufresno.edu (at least one week prior to event).
cdouglas

Return to Seminars and Workshops