Media Clips 7.24.12

For other news, please go to http://www.FresnoStateNews.com

Media Clips 7.24.12

Postby ucommstudent » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:59 am

These media clips are provided by the Office of University Communications at California State University, Fresno. They are intended for the internal use of California State University, Fresno and should not be redistributed. If you want to print a story, do so now before the link expires. Questions and submissions may be sent to madona@csufresno.edu.

More Calif. colleges contract with financial firm criticized for fees
(7/24/2012 © Bay Citizen)
Nearly half of the state’s community colleges and a handful of other higher education institutions now disburse student financial aid on debit cards through contracts with Higher One, a financial firm that has garnered increasing scrutiny for charging multiple fees, aggressive marketing tactics and privacy concerns. At least 52 California Community Colleges use the company, from Imperial Valley College to Shasta College. California State University, Fresno also contracts with the company.

Hispanic Ph.Ds Jumps as Fastest-Growing minority Gains
(7/24/2012 © Bloomberg News)
As an undergraduate at California State University, Fresno, a professor helped Perez get a fellowship with funding that allowed him to focus on research. “For Hispanics, that’s where they need help the most, is to be exposed to the field,” Perez said in a telephone interview.

Fresno State, College of the Sequoias use firm Higher One
(7/24/2012 © Fresno Bee)
Although the financial firm Higher One is facing scrutiny for fees and marketing tactics, the company has generated no complaints from Fresno State students and few complaints at the College of the Sequoias in Visalia, officials said Monday.

Debit cards for California college students questioned
(7/24/2012 © Fresno Bee)
Nearly half of the state's community colleges and a handful of other higher education institutions now disburse student financial aid on debit cards through contracts with Higher One, a financial firm that has garnered increasing scrutiny for charging multiple fees, aggressive marketing tactics and privacy concerns. At least 52 California community colleges use the company, from Imperial Valley College to Shasta College. California State University, Fresno also contracts with the company.

Valley Works: Get a college degree, get a job?
(7/24/2012 © KFSN ABC 30 Fresno)
This recent Fresno State graduate thought he was doing everything right, he worked while attending college to get experience, he even changed his major hoping dual degrees in economics and accounting would make him more employable. Matkin told Action News, "I knew it was going to be hard because people where having a tough time finding a job, but at the same time you have to have confidence in yourself so I thought I am going to get a job, I am going to get a job."

Welty helps decide Penn State's fate
(7/24/2012 © KGPE-TV CBS 47 Fresno)
Fresno State President John Welty left work in a somber mood Monday, as he and the other 21 members of the NCAA's Division I Board of Directors approved the sanctions handed down to Penn State in the Jerry Sandusky scandal.

Fresno State steps onto Mountain West stage Tuesday's media day kickoff is bigger bash than the WAC's.
(7/24/2012 © The Fresno Bee)
It's time for the Mountain West Conference football media days. OK, so the MWC media days don't get wall-to-wall television coverage on the country's biggest cable sports network. But for Fresno State, it represents a step up in visibility from the Western Athletic Conference.
ucommstudent

Return to News