President's Reflections November 26- December 2, 2012

President's Reflections November 26- December 2, 2012

Postby madona » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:55 pm

REFLECTIONS FROM THE PRESIDENT

November 26-December 2, 2012

This was a busy week as everyone returned from Thanksgiving break and began focusing on end of the semester activities as well as preparing for the holiday season. Sharon and I very much appreciate Rosie Tapia's hard work along with staff from Plant Operations and my office as the University House was prepared for the annual opening of Christmas Tree Lane.

We were saddened to learn of Lynn Williams’s accident and our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family as he recovers.

I was delighted to learn that our last blood drive of the semester resulted in 660 donors giving 518 pints of blood, which will help 1,554 patients in the future. Thank you to all who participated.

I was pleased to receive word from Chancellor Charles Reed that our proposed Bachelor of Arts degree program in Latin American Studies had been approved. Congratulations to all who worked very hard on this proposal.

The Fresno State discussion group Sista2Sista is coordinating a toilet paper drive to assist the homeless in downtown Fresno. Donations are due December 15 by 5 p.m. More information is available through the Center for Women and Culture at 278.4435.

Monday, November 26

My meetings and activities included

• Cabinet, at which the issues discussed included a report on the November Board of Trustees meeting, the 2012-13 budget, review of Proposition 30 passing, 2013-14 enrollment, federal financial aid, policy legislation on social media, wayfinding signage, and several other issues.
  • Vice President Paul Oliaro to discuss several Student Affairs matters.
  • Provost William Covino to discuss several Academic Affairs matters
  • Interviewed a candidate for the Dean of College of Science and Mathematics position.
  • Vice President Cynthia Teniente-Matson to discuss several Administrative Services matters.
  • Fresno Rotary meeting at which head women's basketball coach Raegan Pebley spoke.
  • Vice President Peter Smits to discuss several Advancement matters.
  • Academic Senate Executive Committee.
  • Attended meeting of the Academic Senate.
Dinner with California Energy Commission Chair Robert Weisenmiller and Executive Director Rob Oglesby, hosted by Mendota Bioenergy Beet Energy to discuss work of the university with this firm.

Tuesday, November 27
  • Vice President Teniente-Matson and Associate Vice President Clint Moffitt to discuss 2012-13 budget and review planning for 2013-14. I will be meeting with University Budget Committee this week to outline our plans for the rest of the year.
  • Victoria Gonzales from the Fresno Chamber of Commerce.
  • Associated Students, Inc. President Arthur Montejano.
  • University High School Head of School James Bushman, Deans Ram Nunna and Paul Beare, and Associate Vice President Bob Boyd regarding the UHS lease.
  • Met with a delegation from National Changhua University of Education in Taiwan to complete several agreements.

Wednesday, November 29
  • Special meeting of the Ag Foundation Board to discuss a Memorandum of Understanding with Viticulture and Enology and the potential of industry partners making a major contribution toward the revitalization of our campus vineyards.
  • Hosted a group of faculty for lunch. Discussed a number of issues including faculty hiring, collaboration across departments, difficulties departments experience in offering special summer programs, and several other issues.
  • Conference call with the NCAA Division I Board of Directors to discuss bowl eligibility issues.
  • Provost Covino, Dean Charles Boyer and Director David Zoldoske to discuss coordination of efforts.
  • Call with Commissioner Craig Thompson of the Mountain West Conference.
  • Conference call with Vice Chancellor Gayle Brooks and CSU Presidents on human resources issues.
  • Reception sponsored by the Center for Creativity and the Arts to honor artist Patrick Dougherty.

Thursday, November 29
  • Convened meeting of the Fresno Business Council Executive Committee.
  • Sharon and I videotaped a piece on holiday traditions for the University Journal. (View it here.)
  • Interviewed a candidate for the Dean of the College of Science and Mathematics position.
  • March of Dimes Executive Director Lynn Hogue to discuss board recruitment.
  • Reception in honor of Charlotte Watson, who is retiring.
  • Met with a major donor.
  • Conference call with CSU Presidents and Chancellor-elect Timothy White.
  • Farewell reception for guests from Beijing Union University.
  • Athletics Director Thomas Boeh on an Athletics matter.

Friday, November 30
  • Smittcamp Family Honors College Director Honora Chapman to discuss budget matters.
  • Athletics Director Boeh on several Athletics matters.
  • Worked on preparing for several meetings this coming week.

Saturday, December 1
  • Prepared dinner and hosted Cabinet members and their spouses for a holiday celebration.

Sunday, December 2
  • Fresno State vs. University of Texas Arlington Women's basketball game.
  • Hosted holiday reception for Smittcamp Honors College students, faculty, and supporters.
  • Hosted a reception for Centennial Society members at the Saroyan Theatre.
  • Attended and spoke at concert by Fresno State Symphony Orchestra and Youth Orchestras of Fresno conducted by Professor Thomas Lowenheim. It was a great evening.

It is time for a new week!
madona

Return to President's Messages