President's Reflections October 1-7, 2012

President's Reflections October 1-7, 2012

Postby madona » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:39 am

REFLECTIONS FROM THE PRESIDENT

October 1-7, 2012

This has been a fast-paced week and a newsworthy one as the CSU Board of Trustees announced the appointment of a new Chancellor. Chancellor Timothy White is an alumnus of Fresno State and has been a great colleague over the years. I have worked with him on a number of projects, and I believe he will serve the CSU very effectively.

I had the opportunity to attend a conference that featured a number of national leaders in online learning. I found it to be very stimulating. There was a great deal of discussion about massive open online courses (MOOCs) and analytics. I learned a lot but I have much more to learn.

Monday, October 1
My meetings and activities included:

• Cabinet at which issues discussed included a report from the Board of Trustees meeting, incentive programs for international recruitment, state legislative proposal for 2013-14, the October 8 budget information session, update on WASC changes, Proposition 30, and several other issues.
    • Vice President Paul Oliaro regarding several Student Affairs issues.
    • Provost William Covino to discuss several Academic Affairs issues.
    • Phone call with March of Dimes officials to discuss a presentation to their national conference.
    • Conference call with Barbara Perry to discuss a presentation at the annual AASCU conference.
    • Vice President Teniente Matson to discuss several Administrative Services issues.
    • Academic Senate Executive Committee.
    • Academic Senate general session meeting.

Tuesday, October 2

• National press conference with Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities and American Association of State Colleges and Universities leaders to discuss the commitment of more than 480 public universities to the National Degree Completion efforts.

• Conference call with CSU Presidents to discuss Super Sunday plans.
    • Economic Development Corporation annual meeting, which featured biotechnology in the Valley. Professor Alice Wright spoke on workforce preparation for the future
    • Attended and spoke at reception for more than 100 faculty and staff who participated in the Early Start efforts. I am very proud of the great work of our faculty and staff with this program.
    • Completed a video interview for students working on a class project.
    • Radio interview with KYNO to discuss the National Degree Completion effort.
    • Reception for speakers and participated in the Central Valley Health Policy Institute Summit on Hepatitis C.

Wednesday, October 3
    • Gave opening comments at the CVHPI Summit on Hepatitis C.
    • Campaign Senior Team to discuss several campaign projects.
    • Initial board meeting of a start-up educational program in the area.
    • Flew to Dallas, Texas.

Thursday, October 4

• Attended Pearson Leadership Forum for online learning.

Friday, October 5
    • Continued at the Pearson Leadership Forum.
    • Flew to Denver, Colorado.

Saturday, October 6
    • Colorado State vs. Fresno State football game. It was a good win. Congratulations to Coach DeRuyter, his staff, and the team.

Sunday, October 7
    • Returned to Fresno from Colorado in the early morning.
    • Hosted key University supporters and donors at the Los Angeles Lakers exhibition game at the Save Mart Center.
madona

Return to President's Messages