In Memoriam - Jerry Tarkanian 1930-2015

In Memoriam - Jerry Tarkanian 1930-2015

Postby tomu » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:08 pm

Campus Community:

This week, the University lost an alumnus, a great coach, mentor and citizen in the Central Valley — Jerry Tarkanian.

In over 30 years coaching men’s basketball, Coach Tarkanian led teams to four appearances in the NCAA Final Four (UNLV in 1977, 1987, 1990 and 1991), one national championship (UNLV in 1989-90) and owned a 38-18 record in 18 NCAA tournament appearances.

In 1995 he returned home to coach his alma mater and led the Bulldogs to seven consecutive postseason berths, including NCAA Tournament appearances in 1999-2000 and 2000-01. The Bulldogs won the 2001 WAC title and a 2002 WAC Tournament championship. In 2001, the Bulldogs reached the second round of the NCAA Tournament before falling to defending champion Michigan State. He retired in 2002.

The coach’s jersey No. 2 was retired at Fresno State on March 1 at the Save Mart Center in front of a crowd of 14,801, the fourth-largest in the history of the arena. Mary and I enjoyed visiting with him at Bulldogs games, including at his jersey retirement ceremony.

We at Fresno State send our deepest condolences to Coach Tarkanian’s wife, Lois, and the entire family. His many positive contributions to Fresno State are deeply appreciated by his colleagues and friends in the community.

We are very honored that the family chose the Fresno State Armenian Studies Program to be the benefactor of donations made in Coach Tarkanian’s name.

As a memorial tribute to Coach Tarkanian, I have directed the University’s national and state flags to be flown at half-staff on Monday, Feb. 16, the day of his funeral service in Las Vegas.

-- Dr. Joseph I. Castro, President
tomu

Return to President's Messages