President's Reflections July 9-22

President's Reflections July 9-22

Postby alangrid » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:39 am

REFLECTIONS FROM THE PRESIDENT

July 9 – July 22, 2012

The summer is moving along much too fast! It hardly seems possible that we are in the latter part of July.

As the week ended, our country was deeply saddened by the tragedy in Aurora, Colo.

Our University community has also been saddened by two deaths in the past two weeks. Regan Johnson, who had recently committed her credential, was involved in a tragic auto-construction site accident. Shortly thereafter, Phillip Johnson died in a drowning accident at Millerton Lake. He had nearly competed work for his degree in Mass Communication and Journalism. Our thoughts and prayers are with both families and the friends of these two special people.

On a happier note, congratulations to the Music Department, which has recently been notified that it has been reaccredited by the National Association of Schools of Music.

Monday, July 9

I convened a retreat meeting of the Cabinet at the University House. The day was devoted to work on the draft technology plan, which will be available for review by faculty and staff in August. We also discussed strategic plan implementation and identified priorities for the coming year.

Tuesday, July 10
My meetings and activities included:

• Fresno Business Council Board of Directors.

• Continued retreat meeting of the Cabinet. Much time was devoted to the budget for the next two years, in addition to discussing enrollment planning and several other issues.

• Returned to the office to address email, paperwork and correspondence.

Wednesday, July 11

• Conference call with Ruth Claire Black, Executive Director of Cal State Online.

• Cathy Ferguson, CEO of Central California Girls Scouts, to discuss partnerships.

• Fresno Business Council CEO Deb Nankivell and I met with a prospective investor for the Business Council.

• Vice-President for University Advancement Peter Smits and I met with State Sen. Michael Rubio and a staff member to discuss several legislative issues.

• Discussion with the Latino Mayors group.

• Presentation by a company interested in partnering with us on our energy needs for the future.

• Conference call with Vice-Chancellor Gail Brooks and other CSU Presidents on systemwide human resources issues.

Thursday, July 12

• Fresno Business Journal reporter to discuss football playoff decision.

• Lt. Col. Matt Buehler, the new head of our Air Force ROTC program.

• Representative of the Fresno Boomerang Project.

Friday, July 13

• Vice-President Cynthia Teniente-Matson and Associate Vice-President Debbie Astone to discuss several Auxiliary matters.

• Devoted remainder of the day to planning for the fall semester and beginning to prepare my goals for 2012-13.

Saturday, July 14

• Flew to Santa Fe, N.M., to attend American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU) Summer Council meeting.

• AASCU Policy and Purposes meeting, which was largely devoted to issues surrounding support for public higher education.

Sunday, July 15

• Several sessions at AASCU on innovation in higher education and future trends.

Monday, July 16

• I was a member of a panel presentation at AASCU.

• Other sessions on public higher education.

• Flew to Los Angeles.

Tuesday, July 17

• CSU Technology Steering Committee meeting and gave report on the status of Cal State Online

• CSU Board of Trustees which included discussion on budget and enrollment options should Proposition 30 fail in November. Information may be found at http://www.fresnostatenews.com/budget-central/

• The Board voted to endorse Proposition 30.

• Returned to Fresno Tuesday evening.

Wednesday, July 18

• Welcome at Dog Days orientation session.

• Vice-President Paul Oliaro to discuss several Student Affairs matters.

• Media interviews to review Board of Trustees’ budget discussions.

• Academic Senate Chair Lynn Williams.

• Interview on education funding with Channel 47 reporter Ken Malloy.

Thursday, July 19

• Vice-President Smits to discuss Advancement matters.

• Provost William Covino to discuss several Academic Affairs matters.

• Athletics Director Thomas Boeh to discuss Athletics matters.

• Vice-President Teniente-Matson to discuss several Administrative Services matters.

• Left office to have some oral surgery completed.

Friday, July 20

• Took it easy per the doctor’s instructions.

Saturday, July 21

• Participated in a lengthy conference call as a member of the NCAA Division I Board of Directors.

• Sharon and I enjoyed a round of golf.

Sunday, July 22

• The day provided an opportunity to do some reading and reflection on the upcoming year.

It is time for a new week!
alangrid

Return to President's Messages