President's Reflections April 15-21, 2013

President's Reflections April 15-21, 2013

Postby madona » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:12 am

REFLECTIONS FROM THE PRESIDENT

April 15-21, 2013

This has been a very emotional week. The Boston Marathon tragedy touched our family. My brother Joe finished the race minutes before the bomb blasts and was only three blocks away when the tragedy occurred. His wife, son and daughter-in-law were with him and, thankfully, none of them was injured. Our son-in-law Robert, who is a trauma surgeon at Brigham and Women's Hospital, spent some very long hours with the injured.

As I sat watching the situation unfold Monday, I couldn't help but marvel as, with smoke still rolling into the air, civilians ran alongside firefighters and police officers to assist. Even with all the confusion, uncertainty and fear, people put aside their own safety in order to help others.

It was especially meaningful to have Joe, his wife, and Robert along with all of our kids in attendance this weekend for the tribute event to my presidency at the Save Mart Center. I deeply appreciate all who helped plan this event and those who participated. This was a very emotional time for me, and it was our University community who should have been highlighted for the incredible work to make Fresno State a better place.

The Jan and Bud Richter Center for Community Engagement and Service-Learning recently hosted two successful service events. Spring Green engaged approximately 60 students in service projects with Sierra Foothill Conservancy and Fresno PARCs. The final blood drive of the academic year resulted in 570 donors generously giving 448 units of blood. This donation has the potential to help 1,344 patients in area hospitals. Thank you to the many campus departments and individuals who helped make this event successful!

At the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival awards, Fresno State student Ryan Woods won the National Classical Acting Award, which includes two internships at prestigious theatre companies. Molly Kelly, Fresno State student and acting partner of Ryan, won a full scholarship for a one-month workshop with Dell'Arte Players this summer. Congratulations to them and our Theatre Arts Department!

Congratulations also to Librarian Monica Fusich, who has received a Fulbright to Croatia.

Associate Vice President Shirley Armbruster has been recognized by AASCU for her work as chair of the 2013 conference for senior communications professionals in Washington, D.C.

This week is Diversity Awareness Week. I hope everyone will try to participate in as many events as possible.

Monday, April 15
My meetings and activities included:
  • Cabinet, at which the issues discussed included implementation of the diversity plan known as ASPIRE (A Strategic Plan for Inclusion, Respect and Equity), a review of the library policy on distribution of materials to non-students and faculty, the system RFP on reducing bottlenecks and STAR Day.
  • Vice President Paul Oliaro to discuss several Student Affairs items.
  • Provost William Covino regarding Academic Affairs items.
  • Conference call with Mountain West Commissioner Craig Thompson.
  • Hosted a luncheon in honor of community service participants in Professor Betsy Hayes's service-learning courses.
  • Met with several campus individuals regarding an entrepreneurial project on the west side of the Valley.
  • Academic Senate Executive Committee meeting.
  • Attended meeting of the Academic Senate.
  • Attended TEDxFresnoState event under the direction of Professor Marnel Niles Goins. It was a great event.
  • Stopped by the Bulldogs in the Kitchen program event to observe students.
  • Attended and spoke at the men's basketball awards banquet.

Tuesday, April 16
  • Flew to Long Beach to attend the Council of Presidents meeting. Among the issues addressed were the 2013-14 budget, technology planning, the implementation of the Affordable Care Act and system RFP on bottleneck courses.
  • Attended an informal dinner with Chancellor White.

Wednesday, April 17

• Attended briefing on the COAST program.
  • Council of Presidents meeting at which issues discussed included collective bargaining issues, background checks for employees and a review of legislative proposals.
  • Convened meeting of the Cal State Online Advisory Board. A review of programs that have been launched occurred along with proposed programs. Discussion regarding offering programs through the state side also occurred.
  • Returned to Fresno in the evening.

Thursday, April 18
  • Attended meeting of community leaders.
  • Call with Fresno Business Council CEO Deb Nankivell.
  • Conference call with Alon Krashinsky of Everspring Partners.
  • Met with Jessie Ryan of the Campaign for College Opportunity.
  • Met with an individual and his team who are developing a new community in the Central Valley.
  • Attended and spoke at the Lyles Center Advisory Board meeting.
  • Met with a candidate for the Craig School of Business Dean position.
  • Associated Students, Inc. President Arthur Montejano.
  • Vice President Cynthia Teniente-Matson on several Administrative Affairs issues.
  • Directors of Development Lee Ann Jansen and Sarah Schmidt to discuss their guests at the tribute event.
  • Attended and spoke at Carolyn Dobbs’ Special Education awards dinner.

Friday, April 19
  • Flipped pancakes at the Staff Assembly Executive Committee’s Vintage Days Kick-off Pancake Breakfast.
  • Conference call with Provost William Covino, Associate Vice President Michael Caldwell and our general counsel to discuss a personnel issue.
  • Completed a video on the upcoming Regional Economic Forum.
  • Attended the 2013 Girl Scouts Women Inspiring Girls luncheon where Professor Paulette Fleming was honored for her work.
  • Was lured to the Fresno State Winery for a surprise unveiling of the Legacy Chardonnay in my honor! Thank you to all who were involved in this project.
  • Conference call with Mountain West presidents on several NCAA issues.
  • Fresno Regional Foundation Board Chair Carole Anderson, CEO Dan DeSantis and Fresno Business Council CEO Deb Nankivell to discuss several community issues.
  • Hosted dinner for state FFA student leaders at the University House.
  • Attended dinner with several family members who came to attend the tribute event.

Saturday, April 20
  • Hosted brunch for current and former senior administrative leaders. It was great to see everyone.
  • Press conference to announce the successful completion of the Campaign for Fresno State. Thank you to all who participated in this major effort to raise $214,222,190!
  • Attended the retirement tribute. Thank you to everyone who participated. It was a great evening.
  • Attended an “after party” sponsored by the Alumni Association.

Sunday, April 21
  • Spent time with family who were in town for the event.
  • Attended Vintage Days.
  • Got to bed early!
madona

Return to President's Messages