Staff Recognition Awards
Announcing the 2021 Staff Awards Program
We encourage all faculty, administrators, and staff to consider nominating their staff
colleagues who exemplify all of the criteria in one of four award categories – Principles
of Community (Outstanding Staff Award), Innovation Award, Community Engagement Award,
and Bulldog Spirit Award.
Nominations for the 2021 Staff Awards are being accepted from March 1, 2021 to March 31, 2021 Award winners will be announced and honored during this year's STAR Day.
Please review the information below to learn more about the nomination process and the criteria for each award category, or nominate a colleague now.
Nomination and Review Process
Faculty, administrators, or staff may nominate any current state or auxiliary full-time staff employee(s).
Nominations must be submitted online by 5pm on March 31 and should provide all information requested, detailing how the nominee meets each award criteria. Submissions are required to be of a minimum length (i.e., as indicated on the nomination form) to ensure equity among the nominations.
Nominations are reviewed by a Cabinet-appointed review team and are scored based on how well nominees meet the award criteria. The review team will forward the top three finalists in each award category to the Cabinet (unranked) for final selection. A nominee can be considered as a finalist in only one award category during an academic year.
Principles of Community - Outstanding Staff Award
The Principles of Community Outstanding Staff Award acknowledges a staff member who upholds Fresno State's Principles of Community and consistently excels in their work. This award seeks to recognize a staff member who maintains a positive attitude, interacts with others in a friendly, welcoming and inclusive manner, and inspires others to model these behaviors.
- RESPECTFUL: Approaches interpersonal interactions with collegiality and integrity;
values all employees and welcomes their contributions; listens to all perspectives
with the intent to understand; honors word and commitments; maintains confidentiality
and privacy as appropriate.
- KIND: Promotes a positive workplace culture and fosters a sense of belonging by demonstrating
compassion, empathy, care, and concern; contributes to making Fresno State a welcoming
community; uses words thoughtfully; acknowledges the contributions of others; assumes
good intentions; is patient and supportive.
- COLLABORATIVE: Works collaboratively to achieve common goals, supports the greater
good and embraces Fresno State's mission; builds relationships that create a positive
work and learning environment; demonstrates support of other's goals; considers diverse
ideas and opinions and participates fully as a positive team member making space for
others to shine.
- ACCOUNTABLE: Recognizes and acknowledges best aspects of the workplace and the talents of co-workers; faces challenges and obstacles with a positive attitude by clearly communicating expectations, goals, and objectives; explains the purpose of decisions and actions; shares honest and meaningful feedback in a timely manner and receives feedback with an open mind; takes responsibility for behaviors and actions.
The Innovation Award recognizes a staff member who has made exceptional contributions and improvements to their department or division through creativity and innovative thinking.
- Contributes creative ideas and service improvements leading to more effective and
efficient processes, improvements to teaching and learning, and/or cost savings.
- Encourages collaboration and knowledge sharing among co-workers to achieve positive
- Goes the extra mile to ensure the success of the team and consistently delivers high quality service.
Community Engagement Award
The Community Engagement Award recognizes a staff member who works to make a difference on campus and in the local community. This award signifies our institutional commitment to community engagement and community service.
- Embodies a passion for community service and community collaboration.
- Exemplifies a positive impact on the local community.
- Engages in community service beyond the work done at Fresno State.
- Develops mutually beneficial partnerships between the community and Fresno State.
Bulldog Spirit Award
The Bulldog Spirit award recognizes a staff member who displays exceptional Fresno State pride and spirit.
- Demonstrates spirit, passion, and pride for Fresno State.
- Demonstrates a commitment to campus and community services.
- Embodies and embraces Fresno State traditions, values, and Bulldog Pride.