Eligible employees may take a leave of absence for medical reasons to care for self or a family member. The California State University, Family Medical Leave (CSU FML) incorporates both the federal Family Medical Act (FMLA) and the state California Family Rights Act (CFRA). These two programs run concurrently and provide an entitlement of up to twelve weeks of employer paid health, dental and vision benefits during a 12 month period while the employee is on an unpaid family and medical leave of absence.
An employee becomes eligible to be covered under the CSU Family Medical Leave after one year of employment. As of July 1, 2019 some of the units also require that the employee actually worked one thousand two hundred and fifty (1,250) hours in the twelve (12) months preceding the leave.
Employee groups subject to the 1,250 hour eligibility requirement:
- Bargaining Unit 10(IOUE), effective January 31, 2019
- Non-represented (Confidential and MPP)
- Unit 1 (UAPD) effective May 15, 2018
- Student employees
All medical leaves require forms and a doctor’s verification. The CSU Family Medical Leave program may run concurrently with other supplemental programs.
How to Initiate a FMLA Leave
To begin a medical leave, please select: Initiate Medical Leave
Requirements for Leave
To participate, an employee must complete the following:
- Family and Medical Leave Notice and Request Form (Completed by Employee and HR Leave Coordinator)
- Certification of Health Care Provider (Completed by Doctor and provided to HR Leave
- For Employee (Self)
- To Care for Eligible Family Member
- Medical Leave Application Form (Completed by Employee and HR Leave Coordinator)
- Doctor’s note(s) for absences and return to work status (Provided to HR Leave Coordinator)
If your leave credits are running low or have run out, you may qualify for the supplemental program(s) below:
- NonIndustrial Disability Insurance Program (NDI)
- Catastrophic Donated Leave Program (CDLP)
- Long Term Disability (Employer-Paid for Unit 1, 3, 4, and MPP)
Please see the Current Collective Bargaining Agreements for details specific to your Collective Bargaining Unit: