Center for Faculty Excellence
The Center for Faculty Excellence team is providing remote support and training during this time.
SUPPORT THROUGH THE ACADEMIC TECHNOLOGY RESOURCE CENTER (ATRC)
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT WITH AN ID
Faculty, schedule an appointment with an Instructional Designer for a longer discussion about pedagogy or your Canvas course by completing this form.
OPPORTUNITIES FOR FACULTY
1. Summer Professional Development Opportunities!
Registration and additional information. Deadline is Friday, May 14th
- Option 1: Transforming your Teaching with Resilient Course Design
- Option 2: Introduction to Teaching Online Using QLT
- Option 3: Advanced QLT Course in Teaching Online
2. Provost Series on Practices for Virtual Instruction. Faculty Videos - By Faculty for Faculty (Fresno State Access only). These brief videos provide our faculty access to tutorials on topics that range from technology tools, teaching methodology, and assessment within the context of virtual teaching.
Recommendations from the Academic Senate on the Use of Cameras in Virtual classes
Challenges to establishing a uniform recommendation include:
- class sizes, structure, and content vary greatly
- a number of barriers to video use exist including bandwidth, privacy concerns, background distractions
- it is the university’s responsibility to make sure students are equipped for basic course needs
- students with disabilities may have additional challenges with using audio-visual tools that have not yet been identified
Recommendations for the classroom
Faculty are encouraged to clearly state camera expectations in syllabus and review these expectations the first day of class or even post on Canvas prior to the start of the semester. If camera usage is required on certain days the rationale should be included in the syllabus. If faculty do require the use of cameras there needs to be a procedure for exceptions. Faculty are encouraged to create class expectations at the start of semester (helps to discuss/explain why cameras would be useful) and consider alternative ways of involvement to demonstrate presence and create community. Faculty concerned about privacy issues may consider suggesting the use of avatars. Faculty may need to secure student permission if recording lectures with students visible. Alternative solutions (e.g., virtual backgrounds, school-appropriate profile pictures) should be encouraged as access to technology allows.
Recommendations for assessment
While the Respondus Monitor issue has been fixed, Services for Students with Disabilities still recommends flexibility with testing. If faculty require cameras for assessment then those dates should be included in the syllabus so that students can make plans in advance. Faculty are encouraged to consider shorter time periods or multiple attempts to mitigate some technology concerns. Faculty should also consider alternatives if there are identified privacy issues to be negotiated with individual students.
INCLUSION, DIVERSITY, AND EQUITY RESOURCES
- BLACK MINDS MATTER Series.
- Session 1 Recording - Prof. Tyrone Howard and Shante Needham (sister of Sandra Bland)
- Session 2 Recording - Dr. Gloria Ladson-Billings, Dr. Ivory Toldson, and Gwen Carr (the mother of Eric Garner)
- Session 3 Recording - Guests included Dr. William Smith, Dr. Eboni Zamani-Gallaher, Dr. Frank Harris III & Michael Brown Sr. (the father of Michael Brown Jr.)
- Far-Reaching Consequences - The Supreme Court Decision
- Responding to Microaggressions in Online Learning Environments During a Pandemic
- Inclusive Teaching Practices Toolkit from ACUE
By implementing inclusive teaching practices, faculty create learning environments where all students feel they belong and have the opportunity to achieve at high levels.
- Eight Actions to Reduce Racism in the Classroom
Search the Canvas Instructor Guides or Click on 'Training Services Portal' through the Canvas Help button for additional Canvas training.
FORMS AND REQUESTS
CANVAS WORK ORDER FORMS
Test Creation Work Order Form - Complete this form if you would like the Academic Technology Resource Center (ATRC) to process a test, quiz, or exam and upload it to your course. Please allow at least two weeks for your request to be processed.
General Canvas Work Order Form - Complete this form if you would like the Resource Center to upload documents, scan documents or images, digitize content, etc.
Migrate Streaming Server Videos to Panopto - Complete this form if you would like content migrated from the Streaming Server to Panopto.
Student Incomplete Form - Fill out this form if you have students who have taken an incomplete and need continued access to your Canvas course.
ACCESS TO LYNDA.COM/LINKEDIN LEARNING
Fresno County Public Library provides free access to this resource. Users only need a FCPL library card, which they can register for online and receive immediate access. More information is available here:
https://library.fresnostate.edu/info/research-tools/other-libraries#borrow. You can also contact Madden librarians at 559-278-2174, email@example.com, or FCPL librarians at 559-600-READ (7323) for any questions.
- Zoom at Fresno State Guide (including Best Practices)
- Zoom Videos
- Download and install Zoom. Check regularly to be sure you have the latest version. https://zoom.us/download
The Center for Faculty Excellence provides faculty professional development, technology training, support and development of academic uses of technology.