Start by applying to Fresno State
The process to receive your benefits can take 8-12 weeks. You may apply to Fresno State and start your benefits processing simultaneously.
All Veterans and Dependents will have to complete the Fresno State requirements shown below in addition to the Veteran checklist.
Apply to Fresno State
Apply online through www.calstate.edu/apply, within a week you will be emailed a "thank you" for applying and a student I.D. number.
Complete the following
Create your Fresno State email account at: https://my.fresnostate.edu
(All future correspondence from Fresno State will be sent to your Fresno State email. It is important that you check this account frequently to receive important updates and notifications.)
Review your admissions status on your Student Center frequently: it is critical to regularly access your Student Center to stay informed of your application status and to review any requests for required documents. You can view the status of your application by navigating to: https://my.fresnostate.edu, sign in, clicking on "Student Self Service", then clicking on "Student Center". Please pay close attention to the following:
My Admissions and Program Applications—for application status
To Do List—for remaining transcripts and other items
Important Info & Holds—for registration and other holds
Submit one official transcript from EACH institution attended. We will NOT accept credit for one institution on another institution's transcript. This also includes your DD 214 (copy/member #4).
- Failure to report and/or submit an official transcript for each institution will result in withdrawal of application.
- Having your school submit your transcripts directly to Fresno State is required and will reduce processing time when your school sends transcripts directly from your institution. email@example.com as the recipient for official transcripts directly from your institution.
- Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) Verification: If you have or will be earning an AA-T/AS-T degree, the verification will need to be completed by your California Community College (please see Admissions deadlines). It is preferred the verification is completed electronically through ADT eVerify site.
First Time Freshman—official high school transcript required with graduation date, mandatory SAT or ACT scores
Applying for Financial Aid (optional)
Apply on-line at https://fafsa.ed.gov/
Dependents/Spouse: It is recommended that you apply for the State of California, College Fee Waiver Program to determine eligibility to cover tuition but is optional;https://www.calvet.ca.gov/VetServices/pages/college-fee-waiver.aspx
English & Math Placement Test
- Not required if Math (ELM) and English (EPT) classes have been completed at any prior college or qualifying AP courses in high school.
- These tests are administered at the Fresno State testing center.
Prior College Credit Evaluation
Transcripts from all prior colleges must be requested by student and received at Fresno State before your file can be reviewed by a Transfer Admissions person.
Upon your conditional admission to California State University, Fresno as an upper division transfer student, please be advised of these very important steps you need to complete to secure your space at Fresno State for the semester: You need to officially:
- ACCEPT your admission to the university
- REGISTER for the Veterans Dog Days: New Student Orientation (Student Center—clicking on the Dog Days Orientation link found under "My Admissions and Program Applications"
- PAY for orientation session
These three tasks must be completed online by accessing your Student Center at: http://my.fresnostate.edu. Please accept your admission as soon as possible to ensure timely completion of the application process. If any of the above three steps are not completed, you will not receive an evaluation of your transfer work and you will not be able to register for courses. Please be aware of all deadline dates.
First Time Freshman—Your Pathway to College Readiness
What is DOG DAYS: New Student Orientation?DOG DAYS is a mandatory one day orientation program designed to welcome you to the Fresno State community. A specific date has been reserved for veterans, reservists, and active duty. Please check the schedule on the DOG DAYS ORIENTATION link:
/studentaffairs/dogdays/ for more information.
Which VA education benefit/chapter will you be using?
Veterans, Active Duty, Reservist and Dependents:
Apply on line at: www.gibill.va.gov
Then proceed to the VONAPP Application—if you are a new user you will have to set up your account by choosing a Username and Password; if a returning user you can continue to use your current login information to apply. Or you can check in at the Veterans Service Office, Joyal Administration Building, Room 121 and complete the paper application.
All veterans/active duty/reservists and dependents are separated into different categories (chapters) that define the class of benefits received. To identify the eligibility requirements and benefits, click the link to the chapter in question.
- Chapter 30: Prior active duty veterans (Montgomery GI Bill).
- Chapter 31: Service connected disabled veteran with a disability status of 20% or more.
- Chapter 33: Post 9/11 GI Bill®.
- Chapter 35: Dependents, widows, and widowers.
- Chapter 1606: National Guard or Reserve (Montgomery GI Bill®).
- Chapter 1607: Reserve Educational Assistance Program—for certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001.
If applying for your benefits for the first time
The veteran will complete and return the following paperwork to Veterans Services:
- Application for Educational Benefits, VA Form 22-1990.
- Copy of DD-214 (Member 4 Copy).
- Copy of $600 buy-up, if applicable.
- NOBE for Guard/Reservists, if applicable
- EACH SEMESTER, the student will fill out the Enrollment Form and return to Veterans Services.
- ALL CHANGES to the veterans/dependents schedule (adds, drops, class cancellations, and/or withdrawals) must be reported to Veterans Services Office by the veteran.
- ANY CHANGES to the major or if transferring in from another school require the veteran to complete and return VA Form 22-1995 or for dependents, VA form 22-5495 to Veterans Services.