Prospective Students - First Time Freshman and Transfer Students

What to do before your first semester at Fresno State

  • Contact the Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) office at Fresno State and make an appointment to establish services the semester prior to your arrival.

  • Sign up for DOG DAYS, a new student orientation program designed to help new students transition into the University. For more information on DOG DAYS please visit the DOG DAYS website.

  • Make sure to provide all verification of disabilities to SSD. You are responsible for providing these documents.

  • If you have a visual impairment or learning disability that requires textbooks in alternate formats, please schedule an appointment with a Disability Management Specialist (DMS) soon after attending Dog Days so textbook arrangements can be made prior to the start of the semester.

  • For a complete list of SSD's Forms, please visit SSD's Forms page.

 Difference between High School and a University

High School University
  • No Child Left Behind

  • IDEA

  • School district requirements

  • Parental notification

  • ADA-AA

  • Rehabilitation Act, Sections 504 and 508

  • CSU requirements (different at other institutions

  • FERPA - information privacy

  • Disability documentation by school

  • Student must provide disability documentation

  • Parental involvement required

  • Parental involvement as determined by the student

  • Rights

  • Rights with responsibilities

  • Someone else advocated

  • Self-advocacy

  • School responsible for initiating services and accomodations

  • Self-initiation of services and partner in provision