COVID-19 Student Information
We are aware of the rising concern of classes and accommodations amongst our student population. We would like to assure our students that SSD will continue coordinating and supporting the needs of our students during the transition to Virtual sessions. SSD would like to thank you for your patience in advance while we address the concerns of each and every student, faculty, and staff member.
Until further notice, the SSD office will remain open during the week of canceled classes on March 16th - March 19th. SSD will also remain open when classes resume via virtual instruction from March 20th-May 22nd.
Please keep yourself updated with official communications from the CSU, Fresno campus. Please review all of the outlined items below that pertain to you.
Upon guidance from the campus and public health professionals, with regards to preventative measures, all scheduled appointments will transition to phone appointments. If an appointment is needed with any SSD or TRiO Staff member to discuss services or additional support throughout this transition, please contact SSD by phone at 559-278-2811 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Students Setting up services:
Required Documentation: Application for Services and Disability Verificationforms can be downloaded from SSD's website. To access these forms, please visit our SSD's Forms page.
- Student fills out the Application for Services form
- Student will call the office at 559-278-2811 at the time of scheduled appointment to be connected to DMS.
- Physician fills out the Disability Verification form
- Student will return all documents via email email@example.com least 24- hours in advance before the scheduled appointment. Failure to return the required documentation may result in a delay in services.
Other Acceptable forms of disability verification:
- Documentation of services from the previous school attended
- Physician letter with a diagnosis
- IEP / 504 plan documents may be considered based on content.
If you are unable to keep your appointment, a courtesy call to cancel or reschedule is appreciated.
SSD will not be proctoring any exams; as faculty are preparing for their virtual class transition.
Please keep open communication with your professors to address online quizzes and exams, if you will need extended time. Professors are responsible for setting up time on CANVAS needing time accommodations.
Beginning Friday, March 20th, in-person classes will be virtual, which will now allow SSD students with testing accommodations the ability to take exams on Canvas just like their peers. From March 20th through May 22, 2020, SSD will only be proctoring exams that require special accommodations other than extended time. If your exam uses Lockdown Browser and you require the use of Read&Write or JAWS, please notify SSD so we can communicate with your professor to have your exam prepared using an alternate method.
ACCESSIBLE INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS:
If the new materials posted to CANVAS are in a format that is not accessible to you, please follow these guidelines below.
- Download the materials to your device
- Email Rima Maldonado at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information regarding your materials and “Alt-Media Request” in the subject line.
- Student Name and ID Number
- Course Name and Instructor Name
- Name of material attached and their Due Dates
- Attach all materials to the email
Please Note: Read&Write can provide tools to assist you, and SSD recommends that you attempt these methods before sending a request for SSD to work on your materials due to the time restraints.
- Scan – Convert inaccessible PDFs to accessible documents
- Screenshot Reader – Able to read selected material from any document
SCOUT ON-CAMPUS TRANSPORTATION ACCOMMODATIONS:
For those students, faculty or staff needing mobility assistance, SCOUT On-Campus Transportation will continue to operate, however, there will not be a set schedule. Please utilize SCOUT on an On-Call basis by calling 559-278-1900 for a ride, starting Monday, March 16th, 2020 through the remainder of the semester. Please allow 10-15 minutes wait time, from the time you call to the time a driver gets to you.
If you have trouble getting through to the SCOUT Phone line, please call 559-278-8400 and let them know you are a SCOUT user.
Notes will not be sent Monday, March 16th through Thursday, March 19th. However, SSD will do our best to coordinate notes during the virtual instruction period that will begin Friday, March 20, 2020.
Please continue to check your Fresno State email, if you have been receiving notes for your classes. If you have any questions regarding this process or regarding notes for a specific course, please email: email@example.com or call the office at 559-278-2811.
INTERPRETING AND CAPTIONING ACCOMMODATIONS:
We are working with the Center for Faculty Excellence so that the interpreters and captioners can be added to Canvas to your respective class sections. If you notice that interpreters or captionists are not added to your session, please inform SSD and your instructor.
If a Zoom meeting is requested, a link will be sent to your email and will also be placed on your student calendar outlining how to join the session.
TIPS TO BE A SUCCESSFUL VIRTUAL STUDENT
- Communication: Utilize email, phone and text communication. Keep in contact with your classmates, professors, and SSD as needed, early and often.
- Self-motivated: Keep up with required tasks by being proactive.
- Time Management: Utilize your Google calendar and set up a daily academic time-blocks and deadlines.
- Technologically prepared: Explore electronic devices, CANVAS, Zoom, and other features to become comfortable with an online learning environment.
- Technical Support: For basic desktop and CANVAS support, contact the Technology Services Help Desk
- Optimal Study Area: Create a comfortable (seating and lighting), quiet and calm study environment free of distractions such as video games, television, cell phones, internet surfing.
AS A REMINDER:
The California Department of Public Health recommends the following steps to prevent the transmission of all respiratory viruses:
- Washing hands with soap and water.
- Avoiding touching eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoiding close contact with people who are sick.
- Staying away from work, school or other people if you become sick with respiratory symptoms like fever and cough.