Receiving, researching, and resolving student complaints related to program, academic,
architectural and technology acessibility and issues.
Complaint Form available here.
It is a responsibility of the office of Services for Students with Disabilities to receive, research, and document issues and complaints related to program, academic, architectural and technology access presented by students. It is further the responsibility of the SSD staff members to work to provide, where reasonable, timely resolution of the issue or complaint presented. Where the resolution of an issue/complaint falls outside of the function and responsibility of the SSD office, referral for resolution will be made to the appropriate campus office.
- When a student presents an access issue or complaint to SSD or such a complaint becomes
known to the SSD staff or student assistants, the issue/complaint shall be documented
on the "Contact/Request/Complaint" (CRC) Form.
If at any point a student or other individual connected with the student states that they wish to file a formal complaint with the university, they will be given a copy of the campus "Dispute Resolution Policy" and referred to the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students. If the individual stating they wish to file a complaint is not a student or someone connected to a student, the individual will be referred to the Office of Human Resources.
- The CRC form shall be routed in a timely fashion to the appropriate SSD staff member to research and initiate appropriate action.
- If resolution of the issue/complaint falls within the responsibility of a campus office other than SSD, an SSD staff member shall forward the issue/complaint to the appropriate individual/office. SSD will request timely follow up and that information be provided to SSD regarding how the issue/complaint will be resolved and/or any difficulties or issues involved in achieving action.
- Whether or not the action needed to resolve the issue/complaint is most appropriately taken by an SSD staff member or by personnel from another office, follow up information through the point of resolution shall be documented on the CRC form and communicated to the student or the individual who brought the issue/complaint to the attention of SSD staff.
- Every reasonable effort shall be made by the SSD staff to ensure that the issue/complaint is addressed and appropriately resolved. Appropriate research into the issue/complaint may involve contact with the individual bringing the issue/complaint, personnel from other campus offices, on-site inspections and legal clarification from university counsel.
- If the issue/complaint cannot be immediately resolved by the University for reasons of availability of resources, SSD will recommend to the Vice President of Student Affairs that a reasonable timetable to provide resolution be detailed, documented, and communicated to the individual who brought the issue/complaint.
- If the issue/complaint is found not to have merit or if there is not a reasonable solution to the issue/complaint, the reason(s) for the decision not to pursue further action shall be documented on the CRC form and communicated to the individual who brought the issue/complaint.
- A binder of active and pending CRC forms shall be maintained and reviewed periodically by the SSD Director to ensure timely resolution of issues/complaints. A binder of CRC forms that relate to resolved issues/complaints will also be maintained, in chronological order, for easy reference in the SSD office.
- Once an issue/complaint is resolved, a copy of the CRC form shall be placed in the student's file in the SSD office. Where resolution of the issue/complaint falls outside the responsibility of the SSD office, copies of the CRC form with pertinent information shall be sent to the Vice President of Student Affairs to forward to the campus ADA/504 compliance officer.
The information on this website is available in alternate formats. Please call our office at (559) 278-2811 to make your request.