Grade Substitution

By Repetition of Courses

An undergraduate student may repeat an undergraduate course at California State University, Fresno. If the original grade was D, F, WU, or IC, and the subsequent grade is the same or higher, the new grade will be substituted for the original grade. Only the substituted grade will be used in determining the student's grade point average. Grade substitution can be made only once for each course. If the original grade was C, CR, or better, the course cannot be repeated.

A student may repeat a total of 28 units. 16 of which may be used for grade substitution, as described above, and 12 units of which can be averaged.

A course in which a grade of NC was earned may be repeated but since the NC grade does not affect the grade point average, no substitution is necessary.

All appropriate grade substitutions will automatically be posted to the student's records at the end of each semester except in cases in which the first attempt was at another institution. For these cases, a Grade Substitution Petition form must be filed with the Admissions, Records, and Evaluations Office by the last day of the semester.

A course attempted at another institution may be repeated by enrolling in a regular California State University, Fresno course determined by the Degree Advising Office to be equivalent. A course for which grade substitution has been granted at another institution may not be repeated for grade substitution at California State University, Fresno. In addition, a course taken at California State University, Fresno may not be repeated for grade substitution at another institution.

Postbaccalaureate students pursuing (1) a second baccalaureate degree, (2) a second undergraduate major, (3) a teaching credential, or (4) no specific objective, are also free to repeat a course and request grade substitution on the same basis as undergraduates provided the original course was completed when the student had postbaccalaureate standing.

Postbaccalaureate students pursuing a doctoral degree, master's degree, or certificate of advanced study may, with approval of an adviser, repeat a course for academic credit, regardless of what grade was originally earned in the course. However, the student is not eligible to petition for grade substitution. All course work taken, beginning with the first term of the student's doctoral or master's degree program is used in determining the student's grade point average and graduation eligibility.

For further information contact the Admissions and Records Office located in the North Lobby, Joyal Administration Building.