Adult Students Residency

Adult students (students who are 19 years old by the Residence Determination Date for the semester to which he/she is applying) may establish their own residency for tuition purposes in California if they are a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or other immigrant; or someone in nonimmigrant status who is not precluded from establishing a domicile in the U.S. The student must establish clear evidence of his/her intent to abandon the derived residence of their out-of-state parent(s) and adopt a new residence. A married person will establish his or her residency independent of his or her spouse.