California State University, Fresno is designated as a program impacted campus at both the first-time freshmen and upper division transfer levels. It is important that you find out about our impaction criteria. You can read more about impaction for first-time freshmen here /studentaffairs/are/impaction/fall2017-impaction.html
|Complete A-G course requirement with a C or better grades|
|Meet eligibility index|
|A high school diploma or passing the California High School Proficiency Examination or complete a General Education Development program (GED)|
The CSU requires a minimum 15-unit pattern of courses for admission as a first-time freshman. Each unit is equal to a year of study in a subject area. A grade of C or better is required for each course you use to meet any subject requirement.
|Total Required Courses||15|
|A||History and Social Science (including 1 year of U.S. history or 1 semester of U.S. history and 1 semester of civics or American government AND 1 year of social science)||2|
|B||English (4 years of college preparatory English composition and literature)||4|
|C||Math (4 years recommended) including Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, or higher mathematics (take one each year)||3|
|D||Laboratory Science (including 1 biological science and 1 physical science)||2|
|E||Language Other than English (2 years of the same language; American Sign Language is applicable)||2|
|F||Visual and Performing Arts (dance, drama or theater, music, or visual art)||1|
|G||College Preparatory Elective (additional year chosen from the University of California "a-g" list)||1|
There are career and technical education (CTE) courses that can be used to meet any of the subject area requirements listed above. Please refer to www.ucop.edu/doorways for the entire listing of approved courses.
Your grade point average is calculated on all a-g courses completed after your 9th grade. When filling out your admission application, your GPA should include your a-g courses taken the summer after 9th grade through the end of your 11th grade.
Honors, AP, College, or IB Classes
- In your calculation, add an extra point to any approved honors, AP, college or IB grades used to satisfy A-G requirements in which you received a grade of C or better. For example, a B in AP Government would have a point value of 4 instead of 3.
- Up to 8 semesters can be awarded extra points in your GPA calculation.
- Up to four approved honors courses taken in the 10th grade can be given extra points.
- No extra points are added to grades of D or lower.
- In order to be an "approved honors level course," that high school course must be identified as honors level on your official high school "a-g" course list. You can find your school's course list at www.ucop.edu/doorways/.
Fresno State is impacted and will implement heightened admission criteria for both local and non-local students based on space availability. This means that even if a student meets CSU minimum eligibility criteria, they will have higher program criteria that they will need to fulfill.
First-time-freshmen must meet course requirements and an eligibility index based on their GPA and SAT or ACT score in order to be considered for admission to the university. Indices may differ by major.
Impaction admission criteria may be subject to change based on enrollment needs.