The Early Start Program: Exemptions
You may be exempt if:
- You are a non-resident of California.
- You participate in the Summer Bridge program at Fresno State, or the Health Career Opportunities Program, or the Fresno Unified’s “Pilot Program."
- You received the appropriate exemption scores in your EAP, AP, SAT, or ACT (see below)
Can I be exempt from taking the English Placement Test (EPT) and/or the Entry Level Math (ELM) and not have to participate in the Early Start Program?
Unless you meet the requirement in one of the ways described below, you must take the EPT and/or ELM before enrolling at the CSU.
English Placement Test (EPT)
- Early Assessment Program (EAP) – A status of "Ready for CSU or participating CCC college-level English courses" indicates that you have met the EPT requirement.
- National Standardized Tests – A qualifying score on one of the following college placement tests fulfills the EPT requirement:
|Test||Required score for EPT Requirement|
|SAT||500 or more on the Critical Reading section|
|ACT||22 or more on the English Test|
|AP||3 or more on either the Language & Composition or Literature & Composition exam|
Entry Level Math (ELM)
- Early Assessment Program (EAP) – Receiving a status of "Ready for CSU or participating CCC college-level mathematics courses"
- National Standardized Tests - A qualifying score on one of the following college placement tests fulfills the ELM requirement:
|Test||Required score for ELM Requirement|
|SAT||550 or more on the mathematics portion of the SAT reasoning test
550 or more on a mathematics subject test (leve 1 or level 2)
|ACT||23 or more on the mathematics test|
|AP||3 or more on Advanced Placement Calculus or Statistics|
Students required to make an ‘Early Start’ will be expected to participate in one of the approved programs. Those who do not participate will not be allowed to enroll in classes for the Fall 2013 semester. Those who participate but are judged not to have met the Early Start requirement will also not be allowed to enroll in the Fall 2013 semester. The Dean of Undergraduate Studies may grant exceptions to the Early Start program (EO 1048) to students who document a serious and compelling reason for not participating in, or completing, an approved Early Start program. At Fresno State, a committee with representation from Admissions, Advising Services, and the faculty will review petitions and make recommendations to the Dean of Undergraduate Studies, who will make the final decision and notify the student (via email) the campus’ decision.
A “serious and compelling reason” is required. In providing reason(s), please note the Fresno State Honor Code ( Members of the California State University, Fresno academic community adhere to principles of academic integrity and mutual respect while engaged in university work and related activities.) and providing false information is grounds for dismissal from the University. Students petitioning for an exemption must provide written documentation that substantiates the reason(s) for not participating in the Early Start program. Without sufficient and qualifying supporting documentation, petitions will be denied. Click here for Exemption Petition