The Early Start Program: What is the cost?
All Early Start courses cost $182 per unit. You will pay this fee when you register for your courses on the MyFresnoState portal.
- Early Start English 1 (1 unit): $182
- Early Start Math 1 (1 unit): $182
- Early start Math 3 (3 units): $546
Early Start includes two, $1 fees to access campus services during the program. You will pay these fees when you register for your courses on the MyFresnoState portal. These are one-time fees; you will not be charged these fees twice if you are taking two Early Start classes.
- Student Health Center Fee: $1
- University Student Union Fee: $1
Your professors may require you to purchase a textbook, booklet, or workbook for your
course. The exact items and costs will be provided by your professors when the class
Below are some textbook cost estimates from the Early Start professors. These are rough estimates and are subject to change.
- Early Start English 1 - you will be expected to bring paper and a pen or pencil for writing assignments. You will also need to print or copy reading materials and documents that will be made available online. You will need approximately $20 to pay for supplies, copying, and printing.
- Early Start Math 1 (live class) - you will need to purchase a booklet at the Kennel Bookstore for around $15 and bring any supplies necessary to complete math problems in class.
- Early Start Math 1 (online) - you will need to purchase an online booklet for approximately $5.
- Early Start Math 3 - you will need to purchase the textbook that is used for the University's Math 4R class. The book costs approximately $95.97+tax (e-book) or $149.27+tax (e-book plus loose-leaf book). Your professor will provide you with more details on the first day of class.
Please do not purchase any textbooks until you receive a syllabus and/or specific direction from your professors.
If you plan to park on campus during the Early Start program, you will need to buy a parking permit. See the Parking page for more details.
If you have submitted a FAFSA and meet a specific estimated family contribution (EFT), you will be eligible for a waiver of course and student fees for the Early Start Program. The waiver does not cover textbooks, parking costs, or course supplies (e.g. paper, pens, printing).
To check your fee waiver eligibility:
- Login to your MyFresnoState portal
- Go to your "Student Center"
- Click on "My Admissions and Program Applications"
- Click on "Remediation/Early Start"
- You will see your fee waiver eligibility in the third box, "Financial Aid Information"
Early Start Refunds (Dropping Courses)
If you choose to drop your Early Start course for any reason (e.g. if you choose to attend another CSU campus for Early Start or choose not to attend Fresno State in the fall), you will receive a refund of your Early Start tuition-fees if you drop before or on the first day of class. To receive a refund, please drop your courses, fill out the refund petition form, and submit it to the Continuing and Global Education Office within 14 days.
If you drop your Early Start course on or after the first day of class, you will not receive a refund unless you have a serious and compelling reason. Examples of reasons that may warrant a refund include: military service, jury duty, serious illness, or childbirth. Please provide explanatory information on the refund form. Click here for refund petition form.
|Course Start Date||Last Day to Drop Course & Request a Refund|
|June 22, 2015||June 22, 2015
|July 6, 2015||July 6, 2015|
|July 20, 2015||July 20, 2015
Early Start Refunds (Exemptions)
If you become exempt from Early Start after registering and paying for the course, you may request a refund. Click here for refund petition form.
The Exemptions page has more information about Early Start exemptions.