Learning Center Tutoring Policies
What the Learning Center Expects from You
- Log-in and out at the front desk during each visit.
- Inform the Learning Center Staff of any concerns you may have regarding your experience with the Learning Center.
- Be respectful. Please turn off your cell phone or set it to vibrate.
What Tutors Expect From You
- Don’t procrastinate! A tutor will be able to better assist you if you come into the Learning Center a week before an assignment is due.
- Come prepared for your tutoring session. Bring any relevant textbooks, class materials, notes, writing prompts, and papers.
- Bring a hard copy of any drafts you might have of your paper.
- Come in with a plan. Know what you want to work on during your time with a tutor.
- Be an active participant in the tutoring session. Write down any comments, ideas, or suggestions on your own paper.
- Printing is not free in the Learning Center. Bring your student ID to use the pay-for-print system.
What to Expect From Your Tutor
- Professionalism. All Learning Center tutors are certified by the College Reading and Language Association.
- Tutors will not do your homework for you. They will help you solve similar problems so that you are able to understand the concept, and you are able to practice solving the problems on your own.
- Writing tutors will not proofread or edit your paper. They will work with you to identify areas of improvement and make suggestions for revision.
- Writing tutors are guides. They will help you develop strategies for proofreading and editing your own paper.
- Writing tutors will not write your papers for you. In addition, they will not write on your paper.
- Free resources are provided in the Learning Center, and tutors will direct you to online resources that may help you understand course material.
- Learning Center staff cannot give out personal information about tutors. If you need to contact a tutor, you may leave a message at the front desk.
- Confidentiality. What happens in a tutoring session stays in the tutoring session; however, a tutor may share information with a full-time Learning Center staff member if you or another student appears to be in danger.
- If you made an appointment, be on time. A tutor will only wait 10 minutes after your scheduled appointment time before helping another student.
The information on this website is available in alternate formats. Please call our office at (559) 278-3052 to make your request.
The information on this website is available in alternate formats. Please call our office at 559.278.3052 to make your request.