Supplemental Instruction FAQ
SI is a series of weekly study sessions offered to Fresno State students enrolled in a course with a specific instructor. Study group sessions are facilitated by the SI leader.
There are three ways of knowing if SI is offered in your course:
- When registering for a course, check under "Class Notes".
- During the first week of instruction the SI Leader will make a short presentation about SI to the class.
- Check the SI Schedule for the list of courses and SI sessions.
SI sessions are offered at least three times a week for an hour. Check the SI Schedule for specific times and locations for your courses.
It is available to all Fresno State students enrolled in a specific course. Students from all ability levels are encouraged to attend SI.
Attendance is voluntary. However, students who regularly attend SI sessions tend to earn a higher grade at the end of semester, develop a better understanding of the course material, and acquire valuable study skills that carry over to other subjects.
No. SI is a free program for enrolled students.
The SI leader is a student who has successfully completed the course. His/her role during SI sessions is to facilitate group discussions by bringing in worksheets and/or creating games that initiate conversation among students.
- “SI sessions are very helpful, especially when you don’t understand the subject.”
- “SI became an opportune time to finish work, begin new material, and network with other students.”
- “I found it was very helpful. I attended all of them and feel I would not have passed the class without it.”
- “I found the extra time spent to be very beneficial to my understanding the course material.”
- “SI is another way for me to learn and reinforce the material besides class and studying on my own.”
The information on this website is available in alternate formats. Please call our office at 559.278.3052 to make your request.