Supplemental Instruction FAQ
What is Supplemental Instruction (SI)?
Supplemental Instruction (SI) is an academic assistance program that utilizes peer-assisted study sessions. SI sessions are regularly-scheduled, informal review sessions in which students compare notes, discuss readings, develop organizational tools, and predict test items. Students learn how to integrate course content and study skills while working together. The sessions are facilitated by “SI leaders”, students who have previously done well in the course and who attend all class lectures, take notes, and act as model students.
How do I know if SI is offered in my course?
There are three ways of knowing if SI is offered in your course:
- When registering for a course, check under "Class Notes".
- During the first week of instruction the SI Leader will make a short presentation about SI to the class.
- Check the SI Schedule for the list of courses and SI sessions.
How often are SI sessions held?
SI sessions are offered at least three times a week for an hour. Check the SI Schedule for specific times and locations for your courses.
Who attends SI?
It is available to all Fresno State students enrolled in a specific course. Students from all ability levels are encouraged to attend SI.
Am I required to attend?
Attendance is voluntary. However, students who regularly attend SI sessions tend to earn a higher grade at the end of semester, develop a better understanding of the course material, and acquire valuable study skills that carry over to other subjects.
Do I have to pay to attend SI sessions?
No. SI is a free program for enrolled students.
Who is the SI leader and what is his/her role?
The SI leader is a student who has successfully completed the course. His/her role during SI sessions is to facilitate group discussions by bringing in worksheets and/or creating games that initiate conversation among students.
What Fresno State students are saying about the SI Program:
- “SI sessions are very helpful, especially when you don’t understand the subject.”
- “SI became an opportune time to finish work, begin new material, and network with other students.”
- “I found it was very helpful. I attended all of them and feel I would not have passed the class without it.”
- “I found the extra time spent to be very beneficial to my understanding the course material.”
- “SI is another way for me to learn and reinforce the material besides class and studying on my own.”
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me, and I'll understand. "
~ Chinese Proverb
The information on this website is available in alternate formats. Please call our office at 559.278.3052 to make your request.