- Over 200 viruses can cause the common cold
- The rhinovirus is the most common type of virus that causes colds
How to Feel Better
- Get plenty of rest
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Use a clean humidifier or cool mist vaporizer
- Avoid smoking, second-hand smoke, and other pollutants (airborne chemicals or irritants)
- Take acetaminophen, ibuprofen or naproxen to relieve pain or fever (read about what is safe to give your child)
Go to the pharmacy
Speak to the pharmacist about medications that can relieve you of your symptoms. You DO NOT need antibiotics for a cold.
Prevent spreading your cold
Wash your hands, or use alcohol-based hand rub. Cover your cough and sneeze with a tissue or into your sleeve. Do not share food, cups and utensils with others.