Am I eligible for CalFresh?
You may qualify for CalFresh if you answer "yes" to questions 2 and 3 below:
1. Determining household size: household is defined as a person living alone or as a group of people living together (they do not have to be related) who buy and make meals together.
2. Is your household's GROSS monthly income (before taxes and deductions) within the limits in the chart below?
|People in Household||Gross Monthly Income*||Maximum CalFresh Allotment**|
*These income guidelines are effective October 1, 2017 through September 30, 2018,
and are updated every October.
**Minimum amount is $15/month
***Individuals who receive SSI/SSP in California are not eligible for CalFresh, but other members of the household may be.
3. Does anyone in your household have a social security card or is anyone in your household a lawful permanent resident?
If you are a student between 18-49, enrolled in at least 6 units, have no meal plan (or a meal plan that provides 10 or less of your meals each week), you must also meet ONE of the following:
- Working and getting paid for an average of 20 hours a week OR a total of 80 hours a month
- Approved (or awarded or accepted) for federal work study, anticipates working, and has not refused a work assignment (can still be eligible even if a work study job has not begun or is not currently available)
- Receiving Cal Grant A or B AND is not married, 25 years of age or younger and has an income less than $50,000
- Be enrolled in a state funded program that increases employability (EOP, EOPS, WIOA, DSPS, CARE, UC McNair, Puente Project or MESA)
- Be enrolled in a program that increases employability for current and former foster youth (Renaissance Scholars at Fresno State)
- Be exerting parental control over a dependent household member under the age of 6 OR between the age of 6 and 12 with no adequate childcare (as determined by the county on a case-by-case basis)
- Be a single parent of a dependent household member under the age of 12 AND enrolled full-time (12+ units)
- Participating in the CalFresh Employment and Training Program (CFET) or be a recipient of CalWorks or AFDC (Aid to Families with Dependent Children)
Other things to consider:
- Unpaid internships or volunteer work do not count towards the work requirement
- Students who live with their parents must be 22 years of age or older to apply as an individual household
- International, DACA, and AB540 students are not eligible, even with a work VISA/SSN
- Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs) may be eligible
- Students with a state certified disability only need to meet the basic eligbility
I think I'm eligible!
If you think you are eligible or are still not sure, please come into the Student Cupboard to meet with a member of our team.