How to Apply For Financial Aid
- ONLINE: We recommend applying online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. You (and parent) can apply for a PIN (personal identification number) through www.pin.ed.gov so you are ready to begin the application process in January.
- PAPER: If you opt to file a paper application, take your application to the post office and ask for “proof of mailing” (approx. cost: 90¢). Do not send the application by registered or certified mail as this may cause a delay on delivery and/or processing.
- CAL GRANT : Check with your current school to submit a Cal Grant GPA Verification Form. A FAFSA and GPA Verification must be submitted to Fresno State by March 2nd.
- Establish an email address with Fresno State. This address will be used by the Financial Aid Office to e-mail correspondence to you.
- You should also update your mailing address as needed. You can verify or change your mailing address after logging into the Fresno State portal at www.my.fresnostate.edu.
Completing your FAFSA
- Complete the FAFSA as accurately as possible.
- Submit all signatures (including parent if required). Signatures are required to verify information entered on your FAFSA. Any delay in submitting signatures could result in a processing delay of your FAFSA.
- List Fresno State (Title IV Code # 001147) as a school you plan to attend. Answer all questions about your housing plans (Question number 86-97).
Be sure to keep copies of your application and all documents submitted to the Financial Aid Office.
After Completing Your FAFSA
After you apply, you may check your status on line at my.fresnostate.edu. If you have additional questions, you may visit the Financial Aid Office in the Joyal Administration Building, Room 296 or call (559) 278-2182.
Document Request Letter
When the financial aid office receives your FAFSA information we forward a Document Request Letter (DRL) to your CSUF email account. If you do not have a CSUF email account one paper version will be sent via US Mail. The DRL advises you what additional information is required, if any, and provides links to the forms.
Upon receipt of the required information award eligibility is determined by Financial Aid Office and an e-mail Award Notification letter is sent to the student's CSUF email account. Read the Award Notification and follow all instructions to ensure timely receipt of your aid.
I received an Award Letter for Fresno State but now plan to enroll at another college. Can I use this award at my new college choice?
No. Financial aid funds cannot be transferred from one college to another. If you change your college choice, contact your new college choice and follow their instructions to apply for aid. Then notify our office of your intention not to attend Fresno State. This allows our office to relinquish funds set aside for you so you can apply for aid at another institution.