Summer and Financial Aid
Taking summer courses is a great way to speed up your graduation. If you are interested in receiving financial aid, here is some information that can be helpful!
The Deadline for submitting the Summer Interest Form is May 10, 2019 for Intersession Only and June 14, 2019 for the Summer Session.
For more information on important dates, policies, and summer classes visit the Division of Continuing and Global Education.
Fee Payment Deadlines for Summer
It is important to know that there are no fee deferments available for summer.
The payment deadline for early registration is April 22, 2019, and the payment deadline for late registration is within 24 hours of your enrollment.
Summer fees and payment deadline information.
Eligibility Requirements for Summer Financial Aid
To be considered for financial aid for the Intersession/Summer sessions, you must have remaining financial aid eligibility for the academic year and meet the following:
- Submit the Interest Form by the appropriate deadline
- Be admitted to the university in an eligible program
- Begin attendance prior to June 30, 2018
- File a 2018-2019 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) no later than April 26, 2019
- Meet the general eligibility requirements for Federal Student Aid
- Submit all requested documents on your "To Do List" to the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office by May 10, 2019
- Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) AFTER Spring 2019 semester grades have been
posted (if applicable)
- If you are not meeting SAP, your financial aid may be cancelled. You can appeal your SAP status by submitting a SAP appeal. Financial aid will not disburse unless the SAP appeal is approved.
Requesting Summer Financial Aid
Almost all financial aid awarded during the summer requires you to be enrolled in 6 or more units.
If you are taking 6 units or more: You'll need to submit the 2019 Intersession/Summer Interest Form to our office by the deadline. We will review your account to determine your financial aid eligibility and you will be notified once your account has been reviewed.
Deadlines to submit the Summer Interest Form:
- Intersession Only: Submit Interest Form by May 10, 2019
- Summer Session: Submit Interest Form by June 14, 2019
If you are taking 5 units or less: Your financial aid eligibility will be reviewed automatically and you will be notified if you are awarded.
Summer Financial Aid Disbursements
Financial aid disbursements for Summer 2019 will begin AFTER June 5, 2019.
Please take note that students are responsible for paying their fees at the time of registration in Intersession/Summer. Fee Deferments are not available.
Fall Financial Aid After Attending Summer
We must ensure that you are meeting the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements following attendance of summer courses.
This means that Fall 2019 financial aid cannot be disbursed until after Summer grades are processed by the Records Office and the SAP process has run in our office to ensure you are meeting SAP requirements. If you are enrolled in Summer 2019 courses, Fall 2019 financial aid will not be available at the start of the Fall 2019 semester.
Please monitor your account for a fee deferment for the Fall 2019 semester and contact our office if you do not have a fee deferment and believe you qualify for one. Click HERE for our Fee Deferment policy.
Not Meeting the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Requirements After Spring 2019?
The Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) process is ran once Spring 2019 grades have been processed to ensure you are maintaining federal aid eligibility. You will be notified if you are not meeting SAP requirements.
If you are not meeting SAP requirements, your financial aid may be cancelled. You have the opportunity to appeal your SAP status and if it is approved, then your financial aid will be able to disburse.
- Intersession Only SAP Appeal Deadline: June 6, 2019
- Summer SAP Appeal Deadline: June 14, 2019
SAP Policy and the SAP Appeal process information.
Additional Loan Opportunities
PLUS Loan: After you or your parent have applied for the PLUS loan at studentloans.gov and have been approved, you must submit a PLUS Loan Request Form, Form 66, to our office in order for the loan to be processed. In order to be eligible, you do need to be enrolled in at least 6 units.
- If you are a dependent student, your parent may apply for a Parent PLUS Loan to help cover the costs of your education. This is a loan in your parent's name on behalf of your education.
- If you are a graduate student, you may apply for a Graduate PLUS Loan to help cover the costs of your education
Private Loan: After you or your parent have applied for and been approved for a private loan through your chosen lender, you must submit a Private Loan Request Form, Form 75, to our office in order for the loan to be processed.
All loans must be accepted by May 28, 2019 for Intersession only and June 21, 2019 for Summer Session.