Types of Graduate School
Click below for a mini-presentation on types of graduate schools
Academic Type Programs
M.A. (Master of Arts) or M.S. (Master of Science) in a specific discipline or subject you have studied as an undergraduate. Typically to complete a Ph.D. (Doctorate Degree) extends two to four years beyond the Master’s level, and also requires on original research project called the dissertation. This option is required to be a professor with future options for consulting and research. Master’s level degrees can be obtained in the California State University program while most doctoral programs in California are available through the University of California system or private institutions. For a list of graduate programs at California State University, Fresno, click here.
Professional Type Programs
Professional graduate degrees are programs that often lead students to a job outside of the field of academia. Many times the professional programs will be less research based than the academic type programs and contain a practical component to prepare students for the workforce. Some professional programs include:
- D.D.S. (Doctor of Dental Surgery)
- D.D.M. (Doctor of Dental Medicine)
- M.B.A. (Master of business Administration). More than 22 different specializations. Some two year programs are more quantitative than others. Read more about M.B.A programs here.
- M.S.W. (Master of Social Work)
- M.F.A. (Master of fine Arts)
- M.P.A. (Master of Public Administration)
- M.P.T. (Master of Physical Therapy)
- M.P.H. (Master of Public Health)
- M.D. (Doctor of Medicine)
- O.D. (Doctor of Optometry)
- J.D. (Doctor of Jurisprudence; degree required to be a lawyer)
Some M.S. and M.A. graduate programs (e.g. Counseling) may also be considered Professional Type Programs, so research each curriculum to make sure the program you choose encompasses what and how you want to learn.
Peterson’s.com: For a further overview of graduate and professional programs and an in depth information on programs, financing graduate school, and entrance examinations, visit Peterson’s.com.