How does a student protest a grade received for a course?

If a student receives a grade for a course he or she believes was assigned incorrectly, unfairly, prejudicially, or capriciously, the following steps should be taken:

  1. The student should speak with the instructor who assigned the grade by no later than the end of the third week of the next semester.  It may simply be that an error has occurred, which can be easily corrected with a grade correction form signed by the instructor and submitted to the records office. 
  2. If the student is not satisfied with the instructor's explanation, he or she may appeal the grade, and speak to the department chair about it immediately.  The department chair will discuss the allegation with the instructor and give the student a response within ten working days.
  3. If the student is still not satisfied with the department chair's response, the student may submit a written statement protesting the grade to the chair of the Student Academic Petitions Committee (SAPC) within five working days. 
  4. The student should contact the Office of Advising Services , Joyal Administration Building, Room 224, at 278-1787, and ask to make an appointment with the counselor in charge of grade protests.  The counselor will provide the student with the necessary paperwork to be submitted to the Student Academic Petitions Committee and will help guide the student through the grade protest process.
  5. The chair of the SAPC will send the student's statement to the instructor who is required to respond in writing by a specified date.  The student's statement and the instructor's statement will be reviewed by the SAPC committee at its next meeting.
  6. Once a decision by the SAPC is reached, the student will be notified of it in writing and will receive a copy of the instructor's written response.