College of Social Sciences Advising Center

Location: McKee Fisk 207

Hours: M-F 8-12pm; 1-5pm

Contact for advising appointment:

Academic Counselors: Ross Whitton, Jenny Saechao

Advising Worksheets

Prior to making an appointment with a faculty adviser, students need to print off a copy of their DPR and look it over, determining what courses or areas for their degrees (if any) have yet to be fulfilled. Advising appointments should serve as confirmation of what needs to be completed for the degree. Be invested in your educational attainment.

Academic Roadmap

Course Prerequisites

Advising Worksheet (majors)

Advising Worksheet (minors)

Faculty Advisor Assignments (for your assigned faculty advisor, click here)

For a complete listing of all certificates offered at the university, see

Advising Notes

  • Tier One courses must be completed before enrollment in Tier Two courses, generally before the second semester of the junior year.
  • Tier One courses are all prerequisites for Tier Two. Upper division electives, however, may be taken in any sequence.
  • Students majoring in sociology are permitted to pass the Upper-Division Writing Examination (UDWE) in lieu of taking SOC 130W/WS, thus having to complete only three courses for 9 units in Tier One. Students who do so still need 39 units of Sociology and must take 18 units of upper division sociology electives.
  • If the student requests 1 unit of ENGL 100W for passing the UDWE, that unit will be applied to the overall elective unit total for the B.A. degree.
  • CR/NC grading is not permitted in the sociology major, except for courses offered only under CR/NC grading.
  • General Education and elective units may be used toward a dual major or minor (see Dual Major or department minor). Consult the appropriate department chair, program coordinator, or faculty adviser for further information.
  • No General Education Integration or Multicultural/International course offered by the Sociology Department may be used to satisfy the General Education requirements for majors in the department.