- Tier One courses must be completed before enrollment in Tier Two courses, generally before the second semester of the junior year.
- Tier One courses are all prerequisites for Tier Two. Upper division electives, however, may be taken in any sequence.
- Students majoring in sociology are permitted to pass the Upper-Division Writing Examination (UDWE) in lieu of taking SOC 130W/WS, thus having to complete only three courses for 9 units in Tier One. Students who do so still need 39 units of Sociology and must take 18 units of upper division sociology electives.
- If the student requests 1 unit of ENGL 100W for passing the UDWE, that unit will be applied to the overall elective unit total for the B.A. degree.
- CR/NC grading is not permitted in the sociology major, except for courses offered only under CR/NC grading.
- General Education and elective units may be used toward a dual major or minor (see Dual Major or department minor). Consult the appropriate department chair, program coordinator, or faculty adviser for further information.
- No General Education Integration or Multicultural/International course offered by the Sociology Department may be used to satisfy the General Education requirements for majors in the department.