Advising for political science majors

The College of Social Sciences Advising Center can meet all of your general advising needs.

You will need to meet with a full-time political science faculty member of your choice whose areas of expertise most closely match your own interests and professional goals for the following:

  • Mandatory advising (and removal of a registration hold) when you have completed between 60 and 75 semester credit units (including if you are a new transfer student)
  • New political science major advising (to change your major)
  • Advising on upper-division electives, political science careers, and graduate-level education

For advising on the Legal Studies Certificate or law school, meet with our Legal Studies Advisor, Dr. Yishaiya Abosch.

Contact the Political Science Department and schedule a meeting with the Department ChairDr. Melanie Ram, for the following:

  • Course substitutions or articulations: any substitution for a required course in the major or minor or credit for a course taken at another college/university towards your political science degree requirements must be approved in writing by the Department Chair
  • Internships for credit

The College of Social Sciences Advising Center can address all other advising needs and questions, including:

  • General education (GE) requirements
  • Explaining the degree progress reports (DPRs)
  • Preparation of academic plans
  • Explaining graduation requirements
  • Explaining the basic requirements of the political science major
  • Lifting of advising holds for 2nd year freshmen and "super seniors"

Here are some other useful resources:

More information can be found on the university’s Advising Center webpage.

Students with any concerns regarding their personal safety are encouraged to contact the CARE Team.