History Degree Requirements
A grade of C or higher is required for all courses to be counted toward the major.
HIST 100W (3 units)
Select nine courses from the fields listed on this page (27 units)
2. General Education requirements (49 units)
3. Other requirements (6 units)
Upper-division writing and Multicultural and International (MI)
4. Sufficient elective units to meet required total units (varies)
(See degree Requirements); may be used toward a double major or minor
5. Total units (120)*
* G.E. and MI courses can be double-counted with major requirements. The writing requirement is met by HIST 100W. See advisor for details.
- HIST 4 is required before enrollment in HIST 100W for all students catalog year 2004-05 to present.
- It is strongly recommended that history majors take both HIST 11 and 12.
- History majors are not permitted to take history courses by CR/NC grading.
- General Education and elective units may be used toward a double major or minor (see double major or departmental minor). Consult the appropriate department chair, program coordinator, or faculty advisor for further information.
- Students who are planning to do graduate work in history are advised to take a foreign language as an undergraduate in consultation with the History Department.
- HIST 100W should be scheduled in consultation with faculty.
- All majors must take a total of 27 units from the three fields listed below, taking
into account the following requirements:
• Students must take a minimum of two courses (6 units) in each field.
• Up to 3 units of HIST 190 may be applied toward the major.
• HIST 190 may not be taken in lieu of a course offered by the department. Students should have taken courses in the appropriate field prior to taking HIST 190.
• No more than 3 units of HIST 193 can be applied to any one field.
United States History: